Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Unregistered

M42 to EOS 5D Adapter

Hi,
Can anyone suggest what adapter i should get for a 1.4 M42 Super Tak" to a Canon 5D mrk1.
Threre's a bewildering selection on UK Ebay and thats the problem..i havnt a clue what to go for.
Chipped- not chipped?
If your from the UK what do you use? any recomendations please.
PS
are the image verifications, case sensitive?

09-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
No they are not- but if you create an account, you won't have to deal with them at all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Unregistered

Ha Ha Thanks Adam...i've been busy searching for answers..its nearly 2am here in the UK so i will regster tomorrow morning.
Ps thank you very much for your assistance.
09-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check around for a Takumar/ Canon compatibility chart. I think the 50mm f/1.4 Tak's rear element can interfere with the mirror on a 5d unless you have modified the camera body.

09-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unregistered Quote
Hi,
Can anyone suggest what adapter i should get for a 1.4 M42 Super Tak" to a Canon 5D mrk1.
Threre's a bewildering selection on UK Ebay and thats the problem..i havnt a clue what to go for.
Chipped- not chipped?
If your from the UK what do you use? any recomendations please.
PS
Chipped for certain... then focus confirmation works... the lens becomes "semi-automatic focusing"; ie. your wrist replaces the auto-focus motor but the camera still determines when focus is achieved.
09-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

takumar

There used to be a thread in fred miranda forum in which people posted pictures from takumars on canon. (you could do a bit more search there and pick the correct thread).

Perhaps it was this thread:

Takumar Thread - FM Forums

I think it would help to put your question in this thread to, I am sure there are some people in this thread who are using canon and m42 takumars. They would be able to help better because of their experience.

Good luck.
09-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Why are Canon people buying fine Pentax glass and making the prices rise?
09-12-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
Because Pentax made these lenses as fullframe lenses and are meant to be used that way.

Also alot of Canon owners might already own this from before, I dont think alot of them are actually looking for takumars. Canon can pretty much mount anything except for FD mount.

Not takumar but this combination cannot even be replicated in the pentax world, unless you have access to some mean film scanner

???? Pentax FA 31 LE & Canon EOS 5D-???

09-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Thanks very much for the replies guys...bye the way i'm now registered as Stacy_123 -)

@ zxaar...I havnt tried the FM forum yet, but will.. thanks for the link.

as you can see by Stienbecks answer the subject is cloudy to say the least..all this talk of mirror shaving..isnt it the other way round (you use the mirror for shaving -)

Looking at varios posts there does appear to be an adapter for 5D ie full frame bodies without fouling the mirror..trouble is.... which one?
I've looked at all the adapters on ebay UK listed as shipped from the Uk but you can tell by the discriptions the instructions are not written by a native English speaker and their knowledge of photography seems sketchy to say the least, ie EOS is EOS regardless of sensor type.
Bye the bye, if i take a risk (wouldnt do it) and the adapter was the wrong type what would actually happen to the mirror..ie would it just hit the end of the lens (with risk of scratching the mirror, or would it jam-up impossible to release or shatter into a billion pieces--whats the worst that could happen?.

@ Newarts..have you got personal experience of these adapters? if yes what type and make are you familier with please?

@ Mr B..check my intro page -)

Thanks to Andi Lo and Stienback for chipping in -)
09-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stacy_123 Quote

@ Newarts..have you got personal experience of these adapters? if yes what type and make are you familier with please?
Yes. I used one on a Canon 300D - it is still in use by my son. I ordered it thru ebay from a Hong Kong dealer (Roxen maybe) but that was a long time ago.

I just looked at ebay for sources in the US that explicitly said it could be used on the 5D (although don't think it matters - a particular lens might stick out too far but the adapter won't). If you are in the US you'll get it faster than from china but it'll cost about $5 more. I think any of them will work. Building them is not rocket science. I'd get a shiny one - but that probably doesn't matter much either.

m42 eos af 5d | eBay

Dave
09-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks for that Newarts..

I've spent all afternoon searching the the web for info on the m42 Super Tak' 1.4 50mm to a Full Frame EOS and the 5Dmk1 in particular...been on the FM forum, Flickr, MF and anything else that jumped up.
On the manual focus forum they have started a data-base for just this subject..its contradictory tho', just when someone says that the lens cannot be used because of the Lens (not the adapter) protruding too far into the mirror chamber (fouling the mirror)....then someone will chip in and say "mine works just fine" but neglects to say what adapter they are using and where they sourced it.

I did the same search that Newarts has linked above for Ebay UK and i get pretty much the same results..trouble is when you actually quiz the vendors about full frame compatability (ie, "are you sure it will fit a 5D buddy" the answer is, "should do buddy" Hmmmmm.
so i guess its just a lottery..take a chance, if it works fine, if not try another, if it works fine, if not try another etc etc etc.
It should work on my 350d ok but thats not really what i had in mind.
thanks for your input chaps.
*if anybody in the UK knows of a adapter that works on their 5Dmrk1 please be in touch.
09-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stacy_123 Quote
Thanks for that Newarts..

I've spent all afternoon searching the the web for info on the m42 Super Tak' 1.4 50mm to a Full Frame EOS and the 5Dmk1 in particular...been on the FM forum, Flickr, MF and anything else that jumped up.
On the manual focus forum they have started a data-base for just this subject..its contradictory tho', just when someone says that the lens cannot be used because of the Lens (not the adapter) protruding too far into the mirror chamber (fouling the mirror)....then someone will chip in and say "mine works just fine" but neglects to say what adapter they are using and where they sourced it.

I did the same search that Newarts has linked above for Ebay UK and i get pretty much the same results..trouble is when you actually quiz the vendors about full frame compatability (ie, "are you sure it will fit a 5D buddy" the answer is, "should do buddy" Hmmmmm.
so i guess its just a lottery..take a chance, if it works fine, if not try another, if it works fine, if not try another etc etc etc.
It should work on my 350d ok but thats not really what i had in mind.
thanks for your input chaps.
*if anybody in the UK knows of a adapter that works on their 5Dmrk1 please be in touch.
The way these things work it is very unlikely that an adapter that allows a lens to focus to infinity can have any effect on whether or not the rear of the lens clears the mirror - that will be determined by the lens' protrusion and mirror placement.

That's because the distance from the front surface of the adapter to the camera's sensor is a precisely known dimension and it is highly probable that any reasonable adapter will meet that dimensional requirement. There may be a loose tolerance on the placement of the camera's mirror that might lead to clearance variations from camera to camera. If a lens is adjusted so it focuses "beyond infinity" it will be seated closer to the mirror and may interfere.

The buy it and try it approach is a good one. To "try it" one might mount the adapter on the camera then slowly screw the lens (focused at infinity) into it while firing the shutter; That way you'll hear if the mirror begins to brush the lens - if it does brush, stop - if not, keep going.

Or just use a lens with a non-protruding rear element.

Good luck
Dave

Last edited by newarts; 09-12-2011 at 10:29 AM.
09-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I should write with even more sarcasm It was a joke, I was also considering buying a 5D to mount Takumars, but I gave up.
09-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I should write with even more sarcasm It was a joke, I was also considering buying a 5D to mount Takumars, but I gave up.
A900 / A850 is the body to go to mount takumars
09-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Even worse, I hear they sometimes chop the aperture lever off k mounts to make it clear.
It's ok though, as I'm getting revenge!!!!! I have the mount ripped off a canon 50mm 1.8 and will soon mount a fine m42-pk adapter to it!!!!! Then I will sacrifice the canon mount at the pentax alter!!!!!!
BWAHAHAH!!!

(ps, that's how they know you are kidding, you forgot the)
BWAHAHAH!!!

(I'm not kidding about the canon 50mm 1.8 though, its sitting in the cabinet with the mount ripped off waiting for me to get around to finish the mount replacement).