Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Unregistered

shutter speed

Hello I'm a newbe to the forum. I have the K20D and trying to shoot highschool football games.
I'm having issues with blurred photos. My ISO is set to 3200 and I'll set the camera to aperature priority and will get nothing better than 1/90 for the shutter. The same goes if I shoot manually. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is it the capability of the camera. Other people are shooting at much faster speeds. Please help.

09-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put your camera in shutter priority and select a higher value

If you can't select anything higher, you should get a lens with a larger aperture, such as the tamron 70-200mm, which is great for sports.
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF Lens AF001P-700 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are setting it in aperture priority, but what aperture value are you using?
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Set the mode dial to TAv.
Set the aperture wide-open.
Set the shutter to 1/500 second or faster.
Set the ISO range to 100-3200 (or 200-3200 if using D-range).
Set Metering and AF to Center-Weighted.
Set Drive mode to Continuous-Lo.
Do NOT set format to RAW+.
Set SR on and AF to AF-S.
Get out and shoot.

What happens with this setup: The shutter is fast enough to stop most motion. The aperture is a wide as it gets, for shallow DOF. The ISO will float to whatever level is appropriate. Keep your subject centered in the frame for most accurate AF and metering. With Continuous Drive, holding the shutter will grab 2.3 frames per second, not slowed down by RAW+ processing. That's the Spray-and-Pray strategy. It works. Good luck!