Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Unregistered

Pissed off because of a bad service!

Hello all,

I would like to share an unsatisfaction about the service of Pentax Hong Kong as well as Pentax Israel.
I bought a Optio G1 GPS (waterproof...!) specially for taking picture underwater this July 2011 in Hong Kong. Coming back home to Israel I found that my camera is all but waterproof as with the first contact with the sea, the camera go full with water.
As I bought it in Hong kKong but still called the retailer in Israel, I've been told that the warrenty is not valid in Isarel as I bought it in Hong Kong. So I spend $30 for sending it urgent to HK after calling them and explaining that the camera bran new is already out of range.
One week later I received my camera with a written note that I should go the the retailer in Israel (Karat) and with a different warrenty - a worldwide warrenty.
With my new warrentty I went to the shop who Karat comp. referred me for checking the camera. There- with a new surprise...I've been told that there is NO warrenty when the camera "got water'! And I'm explaining that the all purpose of my purchase in the first place was the waterproof!!! After few days of waiting to see what the company will tell me, today I receive the answer. The camera can't be fix as it is totally run (what a surprise..!) and Karat is not responsable for it. Can anybody tell me who the hell is the responsable?!!!
Why did I pay for a bran new camera which is defective and Pentax HK/Israel is not sending me a new one untill today???!!!!

Beatrice

10-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If, in fact, your camera is the WG-1, then Pentax states the camera is waterproof to 10 meters (about 33 feet). The operating manual states this in several places.

I think you should take your camera, purchase receipt and owners manual (to show what Pentax states about waterproofing) back to the Pentax retailer and demand they take care of the problem.

Good luck.
10-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

The way I see it if you have the worldwide warranty then your local authorized dealer (Karat…which is, unfortunately, also a Canon dealer) should honor it. I’m guessing it’s more likely they’d rather not deal with the hassle of warranty since they will have to shell out your replacement then claim it from Pentax. I would push for them to honor the warranty. I’m not sure how much it will help but you can write a letter directly to Pentax imaging in your region and express your dissatisfaction and see what, or if, they can do anything for you. However, having experience buying from HK (with a relative living there), I sure do hope it was an authorized Pentax dealer you bought your camera from….hope this helps….Good luck!
10-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #4

Thank both for your reply.
For the moment bothe company Karat/Jebsen in HK "ping pong" me!
The all idea in the first place when I bought it from an authorized Pentax dealer was that if I will have to deal with problems I will have to whom to go back.
Apparently it doesn't help.!
Latest news of today is that I called again Jebsen HK and explain again the problem and still up to this moment no reply (phone or email)!

I'm really stunded by the bad service both dealer are taking care of this matter.
And you are probably right "K57XR". Karat dealer don't want to deal with this hassle.

Beatrice

P.S...Please excuse for mistakes.