Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Unregistered

Pentax K-r & Tamron lens query

I have a Pentax K-r DSLR and recently purchased a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-.6 DiD macro1:2 lens. However thus far, I have not been able to take any pictures, as the rear screen displays a flashing F with nothing else. I have not been able to find any information in the cameras manual about this. Being new to this type of camera and telephoto, it's probably something that I have / have not done, can anybody advise me please as I really want to make use of my new lense.
Many thanks
Richard

10-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've been with the camera for only 2 days, but the camera displays F--- when it recognizes a manual lens or no lens....
10-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Hmm, im not sure. Perhaps you need to enable the aperture ring function in the K-r menus?

Otherwise maybe the contacts between the lens and camera are a bit dirty?
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Deimos said. Also, in case you are not familiar with lenses with an aperture ring, make sure the aperture ring on the lens is set to the A position. You might have to push the button on the ring to get it to turn all the way to A.

10-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Scroll down to where it says "the hard part" and you will be able to use the lens even with the aperture ring away from A...but to use in in auto mode, just be sure that the ring is set to A.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #6

He says it's an AF lens. Namely the "purple monster" . Anyway, I would suggest cleaning the lens contacts and making sure it's clicked into place when mounting it. Are you sure it's a Pentax mount? Sorry for the beginner questions, but they might help.
10-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Unregistered

Tamron Lens & Pentax k-r

Many thanks all, the problem is now resolved.
Regards
Richard