Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Brisboy

Using macro extensions with K-x

G'day,

I'm wanting to use my macro extension rings with my Kx dslr. They are the "auto" type extension rings with the linkage to transfer control of the apature to the camera. I can't get the camera to close down the apature for metering but it closes when I take the photo (underexposing the shot). I've tried using lenses both in A and manual apature mode. I have got the camera to successfully measure exposure for manual lenses without the macro extension so to my mind it should work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

10-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi, not that familiar with the Kx but if it has a Green button press it to get an exposure reading or failing that try the AE-L button.( I presume that you have allowed "using apeture ring" in the custom menu) Look at the following link re green button usage https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
Cheers
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Brisboy

Yes, I've used allowed appature ring and I've used the green button with manual lenses to get a meter reading but it won't work with my extension tubes. Thanks for trying. Any other suggestions?
10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on which tubes you have. What brand and model? None of the Pentax tubes of A contacts. The auto in them is strictly referring to the aperture stop down lever. There are only a few tubes made with actual A contacts and even fewer that support AF. You will need to use manual mode and the green button.

10-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Various tube types exist. There are:

1) simple cheap PK (bayonet mount) tubes with no mechanical nor electrical linkages
1a) M42 screwmount tubes that may or may not have mechanical linkages (moving pins)
2) more expensive PK tubes with mechanical linkages only
3) even more expensive PK tubes with mechanical and electrical linkages
4) most expensive PK tubes with mechanical and electrical and autofocus linkages

If you're using the simple cheap US$8-per-set PK macro tubes (type 1), or M42 tubes (type 1a) with an adapter, they seem to the camera like nothing. The camera has no way of knowing what's happening with the tubes or lens. But if you've set A-RING PERMITTED, they're easy. You set the lens aperture. In Av mode, the camera automatically meters the exposure and sets the shutter. In M mode, the Green button does the same.

Types (2-3-4) may be made that way, or they may be teleconverters with the glass removed. Whatever. With type (2) tubes, M mode and Green button will stop-down the lens aperture. With type (3-4) tubes, you control the aperture from the camera.

That's how they all SHOULD work. What kind of tubes do you have? Let us know, and we can maybe help.
10-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I tried with my kx. it worked even with no lens. Set menu use green button to "optical preview" & use aperture ring to "ok".
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You probably have tubes painted black on the bottom? The surface that touches the camera mount. You probably need to short the 7th pin, the one right near the bottom of the mount. You can do this by scraping/sanding a bit of paint off the tubes in the right portion of their mounts, or by attaching a bit of metal tape to them there.
10-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
You probably have tubes painted black on the bottom? The surface that touches the camera mount. You probably need to short the 7th pin, the one right near the bottom of the mount. You can do this by scraping/sanding a bit of paint off the tubes in the right portion of their mounts, or by attaching a bit of metal tape to them there.
The 7th pin must be shorted for CIF. For screwmount lenses that cover the aperture contacts, a bit of metal tape is good. For PK tubes and wide-flange adapters, DON'T USE TAPE!! Its thickness has been enough to jam those mounts onto the camera. I always use a small file (like on my Leatherman) to scrape off paint, opposite the red.dot.

10-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Also for CIF, yes. An A lens should work OK in Av mode even if it's non-conductive on its mount (it'll stop down when you shoot, not when you hit the button), but afaik the only way to make it work with M and the green button is if that pin is shorted. YMMV.

Getting these to work optimally has been confounding, almost more trouble than its worth.
10-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Grounding pin not necessary for k-x green button

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
my k-x's green button will activate the optical preview mechanism with no lens mounted. Therefore metallic contact is not necessary.

OP must be certain menu settings are correct. Set menu "use green button" to "optical preview" & "use" aperture ring to "ok".
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brisboy Quote
G'day,

I have got the camera to successfully measure exposure for manual lenses without the macro extension so to my mind it should work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
You are following exactly the same procedure when you are shooting with extension tubes? In order for me to use extension tubes with aperture levers with my K20D:

Camera is set to M mode.
Turn lens aperture ring to the desired aperture you want to shoot at.
Focus and compose your shot, press the green button to meter.
Release shutter.

I believe the above procedure is universal with Pentax DSLRs for shooting with any K or M type lenses.

Hope this helps,
10-15-2011, 02:37 AM   #12
Brisboy

Thanks for all the responses! Lots of things to try now.

Ok, so the type of extension tubes I have are ones with mechanical linkages but no electronic or AF linkage.
Also, they ARE painted black on the bottom so I will try to remove a bit of paint so that the contacts short as a few of you described (I'm thinking this is the issue). I use exactly the same procedure as I do with manual lenses so it seems to me the painted surface is the only thing that's different.

Thanks again guys. Must join the forum now, ha ha!

I'll let you all know how it goes.
10-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #13

And now I'm a forum member.
10-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #14

All Good. Yay!

Thank you all so much. Scratching off the paint to short the contacts did the trick.

Very happy camper!
10-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Glad to hear it. If you haven't already, check out RioRico's thread on macro options, it has a ton of good ideas.