Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Bob Yowell

Deleting K10D images

I have a Pentax K10. I have deleted all photo from my SD Card (Lexar 2GB), however when I place the card in my printer it still have many images. How to I delete all photos from the card?

10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you FORMAT the card to delete the images? You should always Format instead of delete
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Yowell Quote
I have a Pentax K10. I have deleted all photo from my SD Card (Lexar 2GB), however when I place the card in my printer it still have many images. How to I delete all photos from the card?

Bob is right. Formatting the card is preferable to deleting individual images.

However, if you really did delete them, they should not show up in your printer. How did you delete them? Did you use the camera's delete button? Did you delete them from your PC when you copied them to the PC (did you use a card reader or the USB cable?)?

With the little information you have provide, it sounds to me as if you haven't really deleted the files. The card is formatted using Microsoft's FAT32 file system. To delete a file from any FAT32 disk, Windows does two things; it changes the first letter of the file name to a blank and it marks the sectors as available in the file allocation table. This is why file recovery programs can work. The file is not really deleted, it is just marked as available.
10-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never heard of formatting the card instead of using the delete function. I've been using the same SD card in my DS for over 3 years and I've never had to re-format the card.

I use a card reader to transfer my pictures from the card to my computer. It is very easy to delete the pictures from the card using the computer. In Windows Explorer, open up the USB drive that the card reader is plugged into, open the Pentax file, then open the 100 file. The images should be there.

Tim

10-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I've never heard of formatting the card instead of using the delete function. I've been using the same SD card in my DS for over 3 years and I've never had to re-format the card.

I use a card reader to transfer my pictures from the card to my computer. It is very easy to delete the pictures from the card using the computer. In Windows Explorer, open up the USB drive that the card reader is plugged into, open the Pentax file, then open the 100 file. The images should be there.

Tim
I've read in a number of places (sorry, but can't cite exactly) that they recommend not deleting images from your card on the computer, but to format the card in the camera.....maybe someone else can elaborate.....
10-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
I've read in a number of places (sorry, but can't cite exactly) that they recommend not deleting images from your card on the computer, but to format the card in the camera.....maybe someone else can elaborate.....

The idea behind this is that Pentax knows exactly how the camera formats the card. It has been extensively tested with cards formatted in the camera, so they know that when THEY format it, everything works correctly. When someone else formats it, they can't be sure.

I think this is a bit of CYA going on here. It just simplifies support to be able to say "format it in the camera". Then, while they have you on the phone, there can be no question of exactly what was done to the card. In reality, Microsoft knows how to format a device using the FAT32 file system. After all, they wrote the definition of FAT and FAT32.

Back in the bad old days of floppy disks (remember them?), there could be a discrepancy between the r/w heads on the drive that formatted the disk in one PC, and the heads in the drive on another PC that was trying to read the disk. This is why we would occasionally see a disk that showed errors, but could be read perfectly on the PC that created it.

SD and SDHC cards have no r/w heads or removeable media, so there is no possibility is head misalignment. The only possible error is if the PC that deletes the images does not rewrite the directory entry or update the FAT table correctly. Given that MS has been doing this in Windows for almost twenty years and on millions of PC's, this is extremely unlikely.

Personally, I've never heard of a documented, proven case in which formatting the memory card in the PC (or Mac, for that matter), has caused a problem in the camera. Perhaps there is such a case, but I've never heard of it.

To the OP: if you put the card back in the camera, do the pictures show up? If you put it back in the PC, do the pictures show up? If the answer to both questions is NO, then I'd say your printer is not reading the directory correctly. Again, this seems unlikely.

I would try formatting the card in the camera, as has been suggested. I have a K10D, but its not with me. The format option is in one of the menus. Its certainly worth a try and costs nothing but a few seconds.

It may also be time to buy a new card. I have not encountered it myself, but I'm told that there is a finite number of times that data can be rewritten on an SD card. If effect, they DO wear out. Cards have become dirt cheap. You can get a 4GB or 8GB card for next to nothing.

What firmware level is your K10D at? Version 1.31 corrected some memory card errors with certain brands/sizes of cards. Its a long shot, but it may also be worth a try to update your firmware.
10-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I always use format. Less hassle than delete all and has the advantage of correcting any errors that might have developed on the card.

Steve
10-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Any time I've deleted on the pc, the pictures still show up in the camera. Formatting on the pc gives me card not formatted on the camera.

11-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
tootalltdub

To permanently delete images, I always format cards in camera. I also format twice.
11-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
Me neither. I transfer differently - I plug the camera in with the USB cable, and Bridge transfers and then deletes (or does Bridge instruct the camera to delete?) - but I've never had to reformat a memory card in quite a few years of digital photography.

But I suspect this is a bit of urban myth that is propagated from one website / forum to another.