Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
R. Glasgow

High speed sync w/ AF540FGZ on K-5

I just purchased the Pentax AF-540FGZ Flash Gun Unit. The manual with this does not mention compatibility with the K5. This is because the K5 was realeased after this flash gun. However the K5 manual recommends this flash unit (or the smaller 340).

I have been trying to use the new flash mode in some of the alternative sync flash modes. However I cannot get the unit to register for e.g. HSS (high speed synchronisation). In fact the icon on screen never changes from the standard first setting. Toggling the sync button seems to have no effect. Interestingly I cannot set a higher flash speed than 1/180 the default. So the cocept of using a higher speed sync does not appear to be available. No setting will allow me to use >1/180!

can anyone say if the flash is faulty or am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I have overlooked some basic setting. many thanks for all helpful suggestions.

Raghnall.

10-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using an automatic lens? BTW- I changed your thread title. Please make your thread titles as relevant to your question as possible!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
R. Glasgow

Mr

Hi Adam again. I still have no answers to my problem or no replies to my first query. Perhaps I will simplify my query!!

My new flash gun AF-540 FGZ (Pentax) only ever registers 'Leading Curtain Sync' on the LCD display no matter what position I move the SYNC switch to! Is this a faulty SYNC switch or why can I not select other options such as HSS?

There is no 'click' when I move the switch other than at both extremes R+L of the choices!

Can anyone (Pentax Please) confirm if this flash will work with the K5 camera in all SYNC modes?

Many thanks.
11-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have the AF-540FGZ flash on my K-5. The flash is set to HS flash with P-TTL. I have the camera on M mode, shutter at 1000th/second, f5.6, 400iso. It's shooting just fine

11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by R. Glasgow Quote
Hi Adam again. I still have no answers to my problem or no replies to my first query. Perhaps I will simplify my query!!

My new flash gun AF-540 FGZ (Pentax) only ever registers 'Leading Curtain Sync' on the LCD display no matter what position I move the SYNC switch to! Is this a faulty SYNC switch or why can I not select other options such as HSS?

There is no 'click' when I move the switch other than at both extremes R+L of the choices!

Can anyone (Pentax Please) confirm if this flash will work with the K5 camera in all SYNC modes?

Many thanks.
That slider is just plain awful. It is very difficult to tell if it is in either of the center modes.
Then, when it is, the display may not show it. The camera often must be metering in order to show the mode it is in.
Otherwise it will just read |> for default leading curtain sync.

Regardless, the HSS mode is far right, so it should be easy to tell if that is where you landed.
If that isn't working, be sure your flash is seated securely.

If you have a zoom lens, try with that. You should at least hear the flash zoom in and out.
If that works, but HSS still does not, you can be pretty sure that the flash is having a problem.
Could be the camera I suppose, but if zoom works I would not suspect the camera for the HSS issue.

I assume by a higher flash speed than 1/180 you mean shutter speed... but try the camera in manual to Tv mode, and set the speed higher then 1/180. The camera will be forced to allow more then 1/180 but will refuse to fire the flash unless it is in HSS mode.

The camera is not in green mode, is it? My flash is not with me at the moment so I cannot verify, but I thought I recall sue issue with green mode not allowing that feature, or some other limitation...

Just to add.. and yes, this flash most certainly works in all modes with the K5.
Although I really have no idea what the contrast sync does or how to verify if it works. It just sounds like a very seldom used feature and one I have no interest in anyway.
But; Leading, Trailing and HighSpeed syncs all do work.
11-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Turn Auto ISO off

As far as I remember, Auto ISO in camera cancels HSS.
11-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I was wrong regarding Auto ISO. It is not true for K-5 anymore. HSS works with Auto ISO too.

Also I can confirm, that AF540FGZ works in HSS on K-5.

You must be doing something wrong. Note, that flash will not be switched to HSS unless shutter speed is faster than 1/180s. To see HSS indication camera must have shutter speed faster than 1/180.