Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
theSalmon123

K-x won't sync with my mac

Hi!

I tried to upload a few photos the other day, in the way I always do it, but the camera just won't sync with my mac. I plug it in and turn the camera on but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

10-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try rebooting everything, make sure your card is properly inserted, and check the cable (maybe try a different port?).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
theSalmon123

Adam, I've tried all that, still doesn't work. It seems like the camera doesn't know it's connected.
10-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a work around you could use a card reader. The modern iMacs nowadays have one build in but if you have a model without it just buy one! I think it's more convenient anyway. Rebooting your mac with the camera still on might do the trick also.

10-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The USB port failed on my k110d a while ago and I just switched to using a card reader. Saves on batteries too. The down side of losing the port is the loss of computer control. Funny thing is that the video out worked find and it used the same port.
10-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Try the camera on a different computer, preferably a PC. This should tell you if you have a camera problem or a computer problem.
10-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Its possible that the USB socket in your camera has been damaged. They are not very substantial. The socket is merely soldered to the main circuit board, with no strain relief. A little twist or tug on the cable can dislodge the connector from the board. That's why I never use the USB cable on my K10D.

Does the cable feel a little loose at the camera connection? That may be a sign that the socket is broken.

I agree with Fries, use a card reader. Simple USB readers are cheap. Just make sure it is SDHC-compatible. Some can only handle 2GB or smaller SD cards.

10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

the blue button

I have a Mac and in order to sync I must also press the blue picture viewer button on my pentax.
Once I do this my photo manager, Picassa in this case, sync perfectly.
try it out, good luck
10-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
theSalmon123

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have tried most of what u have suggested but noting works and the connector does feel a little loose. This means I will take your advice and buy a card-reader.