Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
FreelancePolice

K-X manual mode does not work with Pentax-M 1:3.5 24-35mm

Hi all,

I have a K-X, and I have been experimenting with some older K-mount lenses that I have. However, for one of the lenses, an SMC Pentax-M 1:3.5 24-35mm zoom, it takes fine photos in AV mode (with some exposure inaccuracy, which I believe is to be expected), but refuses to take any in Manual. I have set Aperture Ring to Permitted in the settings and have set up the Green button for stop-down metering, but the same thing still happens: the camera will raise the mirror, wait about a second, then click loudly as if taking a photo. However, no photo is ever registered as being taken. This happens the same regardless of what aperture or shutter speed I use.

Has anyone else had this experience with a lens, or know what might be causing it? I have successfully used a variety of old Pentax-M primes with this body without running into any problem like this.

10-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used the same lens on the K20D and the K-7 without problem. Not sure if I used it on the K-5 yet. But I don't own a K-x. Mostly I used this lens on film, where it is has a really handy focal range and an optical behavior which makes it reasonable to call it "three primes in one".
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K-X, but I do have a K20D and from your problem description, it sounds like the camera is going into 'live view' mode. Is the back LCD active? Now, as to why this would happen (or whatever it is that happens) with just this one M-series lens ???????? Assuming there's no camera problem, then I'd double check all the programable settings for the various buttons. All I can think of.