Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
debtwigg

Kx problem after leaving it on overnight

My kx was left on overnight, When the batteries were charged and the camera turned on, the display went to the menu to reset the language, date/time. I changed these then noticed that the viewfinder and LCD screen (when in live view) were very dark. The camera will not take pictures on AF, the lens just tries to focus in and out. In Manual focus it is taking very long exposure shots in P and SV modes and the shots are all dark.

11-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, gotta ask the stupid question first, the lens cap is off the camera right? OK, got that one out of the way! It sounds like the sensor isn't getting enough light, what conditions were you testing the focus under? What lens is attached to the camera? Did you try removing the lens and putting it back on? To me either the sensor isn't getting any light (lens covered...hence the lens cap question), or else the aperture isn't working properly. That might be cured by removing and putting the lens back on. Also, take a look into the lens itself when it is attached, if you can see it, is it closed down?
11-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
debtwigg

kx problem

Hi, I have taken the lens off and put back on, it makes no difference. I am using a Pentax 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, and I have never had problems before. I just tried a different lens, a Tamrom 70-300mm 1.4-5.8 and it seems to work fine, the viewfinder is brighter and it will autofocus and take pictures that are OK. It seems the camera is alright, but would leaving it on with dead batteries have affected the lens, I can't think how - it was not dropped, exposed to moisture or extreme temperature changes
11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Your stop down lever is activating with that lens on for some reason, or else the lens is stuck stopped down.
Lord only knows why, but take the lens and flick the lever on the lens mount a few times and see what heppens.
The aperture should open and close as you move the lever.

11-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think Wheatfield is right. I bet it's just a coincidence that your battery ran low and your lens failed at the same time. I had the aperture mechanism die on the Tamron lens you mention (another coincidence) and it produced the same problem. I had to return it, ended up taking a Sigma of the same focal length, which has been much more reliable.

If you can move the aperture lever manually, and you see the iris opening and closing normally when you do it, then you should clean the contacts on both the lens and the camera mount. Also carefully inspect for any damage to the contacts on either lens or body. If that doesn't help, you may be looking at a repair or replacement situation, depending on if it's still under warranty.

If you can't move the aperture lever manually, and your lens is still under warranty, you should contact Pentax about it. Don't try to force the lever, it could just do more damage. There won't be much you can do to fix it yourself. If it's not under warranty, it would likely be a lot cheaper to just pick up another one used. The 18-55 kit lens is often available for about $50-60, either in the forum marketplace here, or other places like Ebay.
11-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Leaving the camera on shouldn't be a problem anyhow - it powers down automatically after a few minutes of inactivity. Plus, except when using LiveView, a DSLR doesn't really draw much power just sitting there. I never turn my camera off except to change lenses.