Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
K-?
Guest




New DSLR's on the horizon?

I've been shooting with a K10D for about 4-5 years. Looking for a new body, but want to pull the trigger at the right time. Looking at previous announce dates, it looks like a K-r class camera is overdue (should have been in Sep) and a K-5 class camera is due January-ish. Any Ideas on what is on the horizon?

Following the pattern, there should be an update of the K-r (16mp sensor?) and a all new form factor K-5 "replacement" (with the same sensor)

(Advanced DSLR timeline)
K10D 13-Sep-06
K20D 23-Jan-08
K-7 20-May-09
K-5 20-Sep-10
K-? (Jan-12)

(Budget DSLR timeline)
K100D 22-May-06
K100D super 28-Jun-07
K200D 23-Jan-08
K-m 22-Sep-08
K-x 17-Sep-09
K-r 9-Sep-10
K-? (Sep-11)

I'm drawn to the K-5 and can't really imagine I'd "need" it's successor, but would love to get it on clearance, similarly with an unbeatable deal on a K-r 2nd body, and save for the new advanced body.

11-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
We can always speculate, and many have... a lot, but to my knowledge there isn't even a single piece of credible evidence about the next revision of Pentax DSLRs right now.
11-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DMV
Photos: Albums
Posts: 431
Something is coming in January, even a Pentax representative said that.
11-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,783
The usual signs have been there for a K-5 replacement - first a silver version to make us buy that second body and then a hefty price drop. I only hope they keep the K-5 form factor and control button layout.

11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
We have no idea what will be announced, nor when.
I suspect Ricoh will do something *very* surprising.
So don't faint if an announcement isn't as expected.
But keep those speculations and fantasies flowing.
11-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,904
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
We have no idea what will be announced, nor when.
I suspect Ricoh will do something *very* surprising.
So don't faint if an announcement isn't as expected.
But keep those speculations and fantasies flowing.
I predict a photographic rifle that shoots a net of interwoven photo-sensitive fibers which wraps around subjects and produces a three dimensional image of them in the throes of fear.
11-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frozen white North
Photos: Albums
Posts: 845
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The usual signs have been there for a K-5 replacement - first a silver version to make us buy that second body and then a hefty price drop. I only hope they keep the K-5 form factor and control button layout.
They didn't keep the K10D/K20D form factor, why would they keep the K7/K5 form factor around any longer?
11-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,904
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
They didn't keep the K10D/K20D form factor, why would they keep the K7/K5 form factor around any longer?
They would save buckets of money not spent on redesigning the chassis or the user interface, as well as on the assembly line tools to produce them.

11-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frozen white North
Photos: Albums
Posts: 845
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
They would save buckets of money not spent on redesigning the chassis or the user interface, as well as on the assembly line tools to produce them.
Same could be said for keeping the K10D/K20D design.

That and people would have been able to keep their battery grips and batteries.
11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,904
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Same could be said for keeping the K10D/K20D design.

That and people would have been able to keep their battery grips and batteries.
I assume they updated the chassis between the K20 and K-7 because they saw improvements they wanted to make that required an overhaul. If Pentax is happy with the K-7/K-5 ergonomics, I don't see why they would make any dramatic changes just to keep up a pattern. New battery grips and batteries are a source of potential revenue, though.
11-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I predict a photographic rifle that shoots a net of interwoven photo-sensitive fibers which wraps around subjects and produces a three dimensional image of them in the throes of fear.
sounds cool to me.

Anyway, Ricoh's just acquired Pentax last October. It's good, I think, that they're not so rushing out to make a new camera just to keep with the date trend or just to keep in line with releases from other manufacturers. Hope Ricoh-Pentax is doing the most out of their getting-to-know-each-other time and deliver a quality product as expected (or more). The K-x, K-r, and K-5 are very good cameras, with the 645D a very good take on the MF market too, and if the first Ricoh-Pentax product is going to displease even the loyal users the merger will lose a lot of money.....
11-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I predict a photographic rifle that shoots a net of interwoven photo-sensitive fibers which wraps around subjects and produces a three dimensional image of them in the throes of fear.
That works for me. A rifle for the pro version, a handgun for the consumer version, and a derringer for the Q market. Next: an electro-dart that lights-up a subject from within.
11-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,904
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That works for me. A rifle for the pro version, a handgun for the consumer version, and a derringer for the Q market. Next: an electro-dart that lights-up a subject from within.
Certainly people would be less concerned about being mugged while carrying their expensive photographic equipment around shady areas.
11-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Certainly people would be less concerned about being mugged while carrying their expensive photographic equipment around shady areas.
Oh, the muggers will have those too first. No, the best way to keep your gear safe is to relabel it all as SEAGULL.
11-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I predict a photographic rifle that shoots a net of interwoven photo-sensitive fibers which wraps around subjects and produces a three dimensional image of them in the throes of fear.
Sounds good, but will there be M42 adapter for it? Otherwise it's a nogo for me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, class, dslr, k-5, k-r, k100d, pentax help, timeline
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electronic Horizon Monobod Pentax K-5 20 12-03-2011 08:01 PM
K-7 horizon misaligned? starbase218 Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 02-16-2011 01:16 PM
K10D - Sloping Horizon NRM7000 Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 09-17-2010 02:33 PM
Landscape Sun on the Horizon LucyGoosey Photo Critique 11 08-26-2010 03:29 AM
K-7 Horizon correction. LeDave Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-11-2009 11:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top