Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the mode dial to select modes rather than a touchscreen because I like tactile 'feel'.

Look at a professional camcorder, lots of 'knobs' & 'dials'. Why? So the videographer can adjust things by 'feel'. There are touchscreens on them, but for programming functions and other less used things just like our DSLRs. The important things are still controlled by real knobs and dials. For us humans it's still the easiest and most reliable way. A touchscreen requires you to look at it, adjusting a knob or pushing a button does NOT require you to look at it.

Your mind and body can learn where a knob or dial is by it's position, you don't need to look at it to adjust it. You can't do that as well with a touchscreen.

A touchscreen on the back of my DSLR WOULD be a nice idea for programming and adjustments, nothing wrong with that. But, when I want to adjust shutter or aperture or shooting mode I want real knobs.

11-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I hope that touch screen won't make its way into DSLRs.

If you as "Why?": because you can't control camera while viewing through viewfinder.
Perhaps surprisingly, I never do that. I wear glasses, plus clip-on sunglasses outside, and I can't get close enough to the viewfinder to have any info visible. But, the P&S has no viewfinder, so it works out OK :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-22-2011 at 07:28 PM.
11-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Perhaps surprisingly, I never do that. I wear glasses, plus clip-on sunglasses outside, and I can't get close enough to the viewfinder to have any info visible.
I think you would be what is known as an outlier
11-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
A touchscreen on the back of my DSLR WOULD be a nice idea for programming and adjustments, nothing wrong with that.
Not sure a touch screen back would work for me. I think my cheek touches the screen when I have my eye on the viewfinder. If it would be anything like the screen on my phone, which causes all kinds of strange things when it gets touched in error, then every time I tried to take a picture the screen would activate and change to a different mode or something.

11-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
How do you set those dials for B(ulb)
On the shutter speed dial
QuoteQuote:
and X(sync)
On the shutter speed dial, or well, just 1/180, unless it's different from this
QuoteQuote:
and V(ideo) modes?
Let's finally make it a button like everyone else so we get all the "modes" in video as well.
QuoteQuote:
The mode dial on my clunky old K20D has clickstops for: User, Green, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, B, X. Let's say we eliminate Modes. With a newer model, we'll need these dials:

Sensitivity: a zillion ISO settings, and Auto -- and User
Aperture: a zillion 1/2 or 1/3 f-stops, and Auto and User
Shutter: a zillion speeds, and X and B and Auto and User
Other: HDR, Video, Bracket, Burst, whatever -- and User

[USER is for saved settings. Maybe need User1, User2, etc.]

How are these multiple dials, inscribed with many small characters, simpler and easier than one inscribed Mode dial and one or two e-dials? Sure, they could be simplified a bit, but that would involve menu-diving, which is anti-professional.

HAY, LET'S TRY THIS: Design a new user interface for an existing or fantasy camera.
They could just be dedicated e-dials without physical characters written on them. I'd proably like it, but would have to try it out. Similar to the new Sony cameras, I believe? Oh and I dont use user modes for those 3 exposure parameters, just the other settings.
11-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure a touch screen back would work for me. I think my cheek touches the screen when I have my eye on the viewfinder. If it would be anything like the screen on my phone, which causes all kinds of strange things when it gets touched in error, then every time I tried to take a picture the screen would activate and change to a different mode or something.
In that case we put ANOTHER button on the camera that when pushed with the right thumb, allows the LCD to work as a touchscreen. Hold the DSLR with the right hand, push the button and program with the left index finger or have another mode on the mode dial that lets you use the LCD as a touch screen.

Hmmmm, getting complicated isn't it.
11-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been having a problem with mode dial, it seems if I set it to anything other than M, the camera suddenly thinks I want it's opinion.

11-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I've been having a problem with mode dial, it seems if I set it to anything other than M, the camera suddenly thinks I want it's opinion.
It will be a problem when the camera changes the mode dial BACK to something other than M when you choose M. I'm glad my cameras aren't too smart, at least I can tell them to get lost and let ME choose things.