Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
K-?

Why is there a mode Dial?

Is the mode dial a vestigial limb? I rarely change it. To me it seems that since "dials" seem to be at a "premium" and we have hyper program, its not needed.

What I would like to see in a body:
A hard labeled dial for shutter speed (with a "Green" auto position)
A hard labeled dial for ISO Sensitivity (with a "Green" auto position)
A hard labeled dial for ± exp compensation (with a "Green" 0 position)
A recirculating ring on body (where aperture ring used to be) that would control Aperture with a green button to return it to auto.

This seems like it basically allows any mode to be manual or auto as needed and simplifies the interface quite a bit. If I'm going to hand it to a bystander, I just put it all on "green" or can be totally manual as desired.

11-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like a digital version of the MZ-S.
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You still need it to be able to select video mode, Sv, Tav, and user modes - so it's definitely not vestigial IMO. Nice to have if any case if you ask me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm up for a MZ-5d

11-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-? Quote
Is the mode dial a vestigial limb? I rarely change it. To me it seems that since "dials" seem to be at a "premium" and we have hyper program, its not needed.

What I would like to see in a body:
A hard labeled dial for shutter speed (with a "Green" auto position)
I use a K10 with two edials. front dial is shutter speed, back dial is aperture. Both values show in the finder. I find this better than the older system you propose because I do not have to remove the camera from my eye to change shutter speeds or apertures.
QuoteQuote:
A hard labeled dial for ISO Sensitivity (with a "Green" auto position)
As above, [OK] and front dial, watching the value in the viewfinder
QuoteQuote:
A hard labeled dial for ± exp compensation (with a "Green" 0 position)
A recirculating ring on body (where aperture ring used to be) that would control Aperture with a green button to return it to auto.
see comment under shutter speed
QuoteQuote:

This seems like it basically allows any mode to be manual or auto as needed and simplifies the interface quite a bit. If I'm going to hand it to a bystander, I just put it all on "green" or can be totally manual as desired.
Unfortunately it leaves out other modes such as TAv and SV. I also use manual only lenses (M series) and have set the User mode to my preferred settings for macro and photos using the 400. This includes that the default ISO on my camera is 100, but I raise it to 400 or 200 depending on the season. The dials would not allow me to have two complete setting sets available. I may be an old f**t, but I like the new systems. The cameras will wear out sooner, no doubt, but while they work they are infinitely better than the old ones, even if sometimes I really do miss my KX (not the digital one) which showed me the shutter speed and aperture in the finder even when the battery was dead or missing. BTW - I've been using Pentax cameras since 1961. I find the newer models still feel right in my hands.

I would also like to see one additional setting on the mode dial: "T". I had this on my Asahi Pentax and prefer it to "B" most of the time, except that I don't have it on any of the newer cameras I've bought. "T" is press for open, press again for close, using a remote cable. .
11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I recently (somewhere) saw a camera design with a STACK of mode|settings dials. Good thing it'll never be manufactured.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
11-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll second that motion, Rio!

11-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'll second that motion, Rio!
Ah, here it is. I posted it just over a month ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/162337-conce...pe-dreams.html

11-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You still need it to be able to select video mode, Sv, Tav, and user modes - so it's definitely not vestigial IMO. Nice to have if any case if you ask me.
Sv: shutter dial to Auto, aperture dial to Auto, select required sensitivity with sensitivity dial.

TAv: sensitivity dial to Auto, select required shutter speed and aperture with shutter dial and aperture dial.
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Sv: shutter dial to Auto, aperture dial to Auto, select required sensitivity with sensitivity dial.

TAv: sensitivity dial to Auto, select required shutter speed and aperture with shutter dial and aperture dial.
How do you set those dials for B(ulb) and X(sync) and V(ideo) modes? The mode dial on my clunky old K20D has clickstops for: User, Green, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, B, X. Let's say we eliminate Modes. With a newer model, we'll need these dials:

Sensitivity: a zillion ISO settings, and Auto -- and User
Aperture: a zillion 1/2 or 1/3 f-stops, and Auto and User
Shutter: a zillion speeds, and X and B and Auto and User
Other: HDR, Video, Bracket, Burst, whatever -- and User

[USER is for saved settings. Maybe need User1, User2, etc.]

How are these multiple dials, inscribed with many small characters, simpler and easier than one inscribed Mode dial and one or two e-dials? Sure, they could be simplified a bit, but that would involve menu-diving, which is anti-professional.

HAY, LET'S TRY THIS: Design a new user interface for an existing or fantasy camera.
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like mode dials. If Pentax's next DSLR was their version of an updated Minolta Maxxum 7D, I'd be thrilled.
11-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest P&S has only the power button, shutter button, and auto/non-auto slider on top, and a review button on the back. All touchscreen. It sure reduces clutter.
11-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I hope that touch screen won't make its way into DSLRs.

If you as "Why?": because you can't control camera while viewing through viewfinder.
11-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds sort of like the NEX-7.

Sony NEX-7 high-end APS-C mirrorless camera first look: Digital Photography Review
11-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Why is there a mode Dial?
It's for changing modes.