Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Kathy

Mac USB mode with K-r

Hello,

My wonderful Pentax K100-D is balking on me when I try to download pix onto my Mac. Never had a problem before today. I use a cable hooked into the side of the camera, other end is a USB into the computer. I keep turning various things on and off to no avail. THink it is the cable? The computer is not recognizing the camera.

11-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try the card with a USB card reader. If the computer recognizes the card with the card reader then it is either the cable or the USB port on the camera.

You could try a new cable first, but don't pay a lot for one.

Newegg.com - Link Depot 3 ft. USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Model MUSB-3
11-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Try the card with a USB card reader.
Just do this all the time. I haven't hooked a camera up to a computer in years

How old is the Mac? Any iMac or Powerbook made in the past couple years has a built-in SD card reader.
11-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kathy Quote
Hello,

My wonderful Pentax K100-D is balking on me when I try to download pix onto my Mac. Never had a problem before today. I use a cable hooked into the side of the camera, other end is a USB into the computer. I keep turning various things on and off to no avail. THink it is the cable? The computer is not recognizing the camera.
I'm not a Mac expert, so I may be off base here. What, exactly happens when you try? Does the Mac not seem to even recognize that the camera is connected? Does it recognize the camera but is unable to read the files? Does it see the files in the directory, but is unable to copy the files?

The USB connector on the camera is a little metal thing that is soldered directly to the main circuit board in the camera. There is no physical strain relief. All of the force from pushing the USB connector in, pulling it out and all the side-to-side wiggling must be taken by the electrical solder connections. Sometimes, its too much, and the solder joints fail, losing electrical connection. When this happens, the USB port on the camera no longer works.

This is one of the reasons that I never use the USB cable on my K10D. I always remove the memory card and put it in the built-in reader in my PC.