Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
pabloCVG

vintage Pentax SLR

I have a pentax SLR from 1970. I spent 20 years collecting lenses, filters, etc.
Will my threaded lenses fit a new digital Pentax body?
Cheers, Pablo

11-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With an adapter and some caveats.
11-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, all your old M42 screwmount lenses can be used on Pentax dSLRs. Yes, you will need one or more adapters, and we heatedly debate which and how many. Your lenses will NOT function with aperture auto-stop-down. Any auto-only lenses (those with a stop-down pin but no M/A switch) will only work with the aperture wide open. But many of those old M42 lenses are highly prized now. Which do you have?

Adapters:

* I think anyone with a least one M42 lens should own one Official Pentax M42-PK adapter. (PK stands for Pentax bayonet mount.) These are fairly expensive. Mount it in the camera, screw lenses in and out -- safe but tedious.

* Those of us with many M42s tend to buy a bunch of cheap clone adapters. These are fine -- just be sure to remove the clip and screw, OR YOU WILL GO APESH!T! Screw the adapter onto a lens and leave it there; use a rear lens cap as a wrench to (un)tighten it. I've had such adapters on some M42s for so long, I've almost forgotten they're not PK native.

* Both the Pentax and clone adapters have narrow flanges and allow the lens to focus to infinity. Another type of adapter, the wide-flange NIF (non-infinity-focus) type, is safe and cheap. I use these with macro tubes and/or bellows, and with some old tele's that normally focus past infinity, or for portraiture or other applications where infinity doesn't matter.

11-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pabloCVG Quote
I have a pentax SLR from 1970. I spent 20 years collecting lenses, filters, etc.
Will my threaded lenses fit a new digital Pentax body?
Cheers, Pablo
1970, huh? Probably a Spotmatic, or possibly an SP500 or SP1000. Less likely is an SL. Great cameras, all.

I like to use the the Super Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 from my Spotmatic on my K10D. I removed the spring clip from my third-party (Bower, maybe?) adapter and leave it on the lens, effectively converting it to a k-mount.

After I selected "allow aperture ring" in the menus, I just put the lens in M mode, the camera in Av and shoot much the same way I did with the Spotty. I compose and focus wide open. Then I stop down to the desired aperture while half-pressing the shutter release, watching the shutter speed in the viewfinder. The camera calculates the shutter speed. When I'm happy, I full-press the shutter.

Some of those old Super Taks and SMC Taks are really great lenses. Even by today's standards, they are extremely good. I like the metal construction and the "feel" and heft of the lenses. They're made the way lenses SHOULD be made.
11-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I, too, would be interested to see what the OP has in terms of lenses.

I have a few of the M42 darlin's myself, and a Pentax M42 adapter. I use my 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 135/3.5, and 300/4 Takumar lenses on my K10D. The 300/4 is actually my ONLY 300 prime, so it's not really something I think of as being a screwmount. When they aren't on the K10D or K100D, my screwmount lenses are usually on my Super Program, ME Super, LX, or MX, or they're on my Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic (black), Electro-Spotmatic II, or Asahi Pentax SV.