Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Hilltop4

Pentax completely dead

Hi,
I recharged the batteries before using my camera yesterday. It worked without a problem all day, even to look at pics later in the evening. I left it off overnight, came to switch it on this morning only to find it completely dead! I removed the batteries, re-charged them again, and inserted them into the camera, but still dead. What concerns me is that the battery chamber got really warm after I inserted the batteries. Is there any chance I could have "cooked" the camera itself? Even putting in regular AA batteries doesn't start the camera up.
Any advice would be great! I am lost without my camera and very worried I've now lost it for good!
Thank you.

11-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of batteries are you using? Do you have the lithium's that came with it?

alkaline are terrible in DSLR's and it's not a big surprise that it doesn't start. However the heat concerns me. Are you sure this wasn't from the heat of the batteries that you just recharged? Sometimes the 15 min rechargeables can be hot.
11-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you checked the contacts for dirt or even a broken contact They are probably ok but never hurts to look. Then I would try a new set of batteries to rule out one weak, or under charged one in the set.
Which camera do you have? The*ist DL is known for battery problems there is a thread here on the forums on the fixes . If you search it, it may offer a solution or more things to try
11-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Have you checked the contacts for dirt or even a broken contact They are probably ok but never hurts to look. Then I would try a new set of batteries to rule out one weak, or under charged one in the set.
Which camera do you have? The*ist DL is known for battery problems there is a thread here on the forums on the fixes . If you search it, it may offer a solution or more things to try
See the posts by Mangusta
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13335-ist-dl-batteries.html

11-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Unregistered

Pentax completey dead

Hello,
Thank you to everyone who has posted a response!

I use a Pentax *istDSL and the batteries I have are the Litho type. I tried using normal rechargable Energisers after I discovered the problem, but even they didn't work. Feeling a bit afraid to try anything else now!

Can a battery cause serious damage to a camera? Thinking of just taking it in to a shop.

Any advice?
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't add up - unless the batteries were short circuited somehow, I don't know why your camera would suddenly stop working. Do send it in to your local repairman if you can't get it working with another set of batteries.
11-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My DL works best with coppertops. Rechargeable's and regular. It doesn't like Energizers, or other brands , for some reason. I have not tried Eneloops. Others don't like anything but Energizers from what I have read. The DL is a strange beast when it comes to batteries..They are very temperamental.
Check out the link that Pixelsaurus listed there is a great bit of Information there and may save a trip to the repair shop.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Doesn't add up - unless the batteries were short circuited somehow, I don't know why your camera would suddenly stop working. Do send it in to your local repairman if you can't get it working with another set of batteries. flickr  PPG
It does for the DL

Last edited by patrick9; 11-28-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: spelling