Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Haley

Pentax K1000 Lens Suggestions

Hello,

I'm a beginner with a Pentax K1000; I live in Baltimore and I'd like to take some photos around the city. I had a Tou/Five Star lens (MC Auto Macro Zoom; 1:4.5; 75-200 mm; 52 mm No. 85006992) until recently, but the shutter aperture broke. The only other lens I have is a SMC Pentax-M (1:2 50 mm) which doesn't seem to have a manual focus and no zooming capabilities. Obviously that's not going to work for me! As such I need to buy a new lens, I'm looking for one at least as powerful as my Tou/Five Star, with macro, zoom and at least 75-200 mm; but I'm not sure whether to just try to replace the Tou/Five Star or if there's a better lens I should try instead. My price range is anywhere from 20-80ish. I can't really afford any more than that.

I appreciate all advice/tips/suggestions.

Thank you!

01-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bit of a tall order for that budget, but from the description and reviews the Pentax-A 70-200 sounds like a good fit and you might be able to find one within your budget or not much over.

Pentax-A 70-210mm F4 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm confused - do you only take telephoto pictures? Given the choice between a 75-200mm lens or a 50mm lens, virtually all photographers would pick the 50m for general walkaround purposes; the 75-200 would be specifically for situations where you needed telephoto capabilities.
01-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Haley

Thanks for the link baro-nite! I will definitely look into it.

Marc --

again, I know virtually nothing about proper photography and am open to tips/suggestions on how to get good results.
From what I know, a telephoto lens seems like a good choice to me; I want to be able to capture distant objects at high magnification. Baltimore is a dangerous city and I don't want to loiter around, walk very far in bad neighborhoods, or feel the need to get very close to anything I'm photographing. There are tons of architectural pieces that are interesting or beautiful; caving in roofs, rows of boarded up houses, high up walls etched with graffiti, or little european stone towers on the side of an otherwise very American-style building. I'd like to be able to capture those things in detail without being too close to them.

Knowing little about the concepts behind the various lens attributes, I assumed that the wider the range for focal length, the better; maybe this isn't the case though. If so maybe there is something else I should be looking for in a lens?

In the end I don't need anything too fancy; I'd like something within a fairly cheap price range that can get me photos with as good macro as well as zoom/detail from a distance as possible for that range.

01-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Haley Quote
Knowing little about the concepts behind the various lens attributes, I assumed that the wider the range for focal length, the better; maybe this isn't the case though. If so maybe there is something else I should be looking for in a lens?

In the end I don't need anything too fancy; I'd like something within a fairly cheap price range that can get me photos with as good macro as well as zoom/detail from a distance as possible for that range.
A lens with a large zoom range is versatile, but there are trade-offs in making such a lens. As a rule, the image quality (IQ) won't be as good as with a zoom with a smaller range or with a prime (fixed focal length) lens. But with good quality lenses these differences aren't huge, and may or may not matter to you. No question it is possible to get excellent images from a zoom, even a "superzoom" such as an 18-250.

Another trade-off with zooms is that they are usually not very fast, as compared to prime lenses. "Fast" in lens-speak refers to the maximum aperture, and is indicated by the f-number, that other number you see in a lens's name. For example, your MC Auto Macro Zoom; 1:4.5; 75-200 mm is an f/4.5 lens; the maximum aperture is f/4.5. That's not bad for a zoom, especially one that goes to 200mm. The lens I linked to is f/4, a little faster. There are three advantages to fast lenses: brighter image in the viewfinder (makes focusing easier), you can capture images in relatively low light, and you can get a shallow depth of field (DOF) to make the subject stand out from the background.

As to Marc's question, if you were satisfied with the focal length range offered by your previous zoom, and were using the full range it offered, it makes sense to replace it with a similar range zoom. If most of your shots with it were at a particular focal length you might consider buying a prime lens at that length instead.

Note that the zoom lens I linked to is manual focus. Right, you're using a K1000, so have no need for autofocus!

Last edited by baro-nite; 01-03-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
01-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My favorite film-era zoom lens is the A 35-105mm:
Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It works wonders!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Haley Quote
Thanks for the link baro-nite! I will definitely look into it.

Marc --

again, I know virtually nothing about proper photography and am open to tips/suggestions on how to get good results.
From what I know, a telephoto lens seems like a good choice to me; I want to be able to capture distant objects at high magnification.
Yes, if that is your main goal, then indeed, a telephoto makes sense. But "most" people would end to wanting to take pictures of the entire builds or street scenes with people at least as often, which was why I registered surprise

QuoteQuote:
Well, the wider the range, the more flexible, obviously, but that comes at the expense of image quality to some degree. Maube not by enough to matter, unless you are making giant enlargements of your prints. If I were you, I'd be looking at something like a 28-300 zoom so you can take both wider angle and telephoto pictures with the same lens, and you may be able to get something in that price range if you keep our eye out.
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
The 50mm is an excellent multipurpose/walk about. Next a 28mm or 35mm for a wide, use for family group pictures etc. I can understand the need for a long lens you could try a 135mm. You would be able to find the lenses for about $25.00-$50.00 each. A nice zoom would be a Pentax-M 80-200mm. I donít know of an affordable zoom that you can photograph from the safety of your car, but you might try a 500 or 800 mm mirror lens they are slow usually around f8. I would purchase manual focus lenses; auto-focus designs are more difficult to focus manually. Before you purchase from an action search the yellow pages and shop local after that check out the buy/sell on this forum. Good Luck

01-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Haley

Thanks all! You've been really helpful. I'll keep those things in mind and start looking!