Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
alle

Tokina SZ-X 28-200mm lens on Pentax K-r?

Hello,

I have recently been given a Pentax K-r, I used to be a mad photography lover (a long time ago) but this is my first digital camera so I'm being very cautious :P I would love to use the lens (a Tokina SZ-X 28-200mm) off one of my old Pentax's (P30t) to save money mostly but I am having trouble fitting it, it appears everything is the same except one ridge is a bit longer (highest part of exposed area when facing down). Is there a way around this like an adaptor or am I now looking at buying more lenses?

01-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
alle

I have done more research and I may be wrong....but it looks as if what I was trying to describe earlier was a "problematic flange"! I will post a few pictures in a moment....

(please excuse my lack of correct terminology, I was a self taught photographer back when I used SLR's and now I'm finding I have a lot to learn, it's a good thing I love it all
01-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #3

the troublesome lens

Pics.....
Attached Images

01-05-2012, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This should be an easy fix - remove the two BLACK screws at 9 and 3 o'clock (as seen in the above picture), and remove the flange. The lens should mount with no problem.

01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have that lens. It works fine with the flange removed, but it's an old super zoom, so of course it's not so great optically. (Though better than I expected.) Very short focus throw too.
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Brilliant Thanks guys. I will give it a go when I can get the screws to budge! Thanks again.
01-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

It worked perfectly Thank you for your help
01-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Be careful. That lens appears to also have the "dreaded Ricoh pin". The markings indicate that this is a Ricoh-compatible k-mount lens.

Note the little brass pin that sticks up a little to the left of the Pentax electrical contacts. That pin was a Ricoh modification to the standard k-mount and is useful only on Ricoh cameras. Unfortunately, it can become lodged in the autofocus screwdrive coupling on the camera. This can make the lens very difficult to remove.
I think there's a thread in the beginners forum about this.

There are two variants of the Ricoh pin. One is definitely problematic. The other less so. I'm not sure which one you have there. Fortunately, the Ricoh pin is also relatively easy to remove.

I'm not sure you have a problem, but I recommend you research the Ricoh pin to be sure.

In your last picture, the Pentax lens locking notch is at 2 o'clock. The Ricoh pin is at 5 o'clock.

01-06-2012, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's (like on most third party lenses) the harmless kind, exactly the same design as the A pin.
01-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #10

Thank you for the warning. I have looked into it and it appears to be the not so problematic Ricoh pin, also it has locked in and out of place perfectly with no worries, however I will be taking the lens into these guys http://www.walchoptics.com.au/ to get it cleaned and checked over so whilst I'm there I may even have it removed just in case.
01-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #11

I just recently got one. Noticed that it can not close focus unless at 200mm.
As I noticed that there was some haze inside I decided to take it apart for a cleaning.
During the dissection I found out that Tokina put some mechanical restrains that
prevent close focus unless at 200 - not sure why.
Sure the lens was re-assembled without the mechanical restraints.
Now minimum focus is less than 1m for the whole zoom range.

Note: during the dissection I figure out that the restrains do no provide
any protection against internal elements bumping together or harming
system precision.

Mod should take no more than 15 minutes and is reversible.

As usual mod at your own risk.

Toine
11-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Hi, i' m 2 years late Could you make a mini tutorial for this focus hack? Thank you.
Closed Thread