Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Unregistered

what is the best model to buy for landscape photography

I have a fixed digital - have my old pentax cameras and lenses but am not sure which model would be best for me - any help greatly appreciated

01-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Any of the new digital cameras will do the job for you depends on your budjet , you will be able to use your old lenses as well which is a bonus.

Not sure what you mean by fixed Digital
01-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
by "fixed" do you mean point and shoot?

If you got the budget, the K-5 is the best choice so far. If the string is quite short, it's best to get a second-hand K-x and invest on good modern lenses like the DA 12-24 and DA 14 Ltd
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Even a gently used K200D would work for landscape photography and it is weather-sealed to boot!
I read this as saying the OP has his old Pentax lenses and would like to use them on a newer, digital SLR.

If so, and you have the money, sure buy a K-5. If money is tight, a K200D, K20D, K-X, K-R would all be good choices. All Pentax DSLRs will let you use your older Pentax lenses. You just have to learn the proper procedure which might vary by age and mount on the lens (M42, Pentax Bayonet (manual), A).

Best of luck! And hey, why not register and participate here more frequently? Plenty of good people and good advice here.
Cheers!

01-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you can afford the K-5, I wouldn't hesitate to go for it. It's got the highest resolution and lowest noise of any APS-C Pentax, so it'll deliver the best landscape IQ. Unless you can afford a 645D

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just be aware that, compared to film, the field of view is different on any current Pentax dSLR. If you used to shoot landscapes with 28mm on film, you will now need something around 18mm for the same field of view.
01-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Or you can stitch panorama shots......
Just an idea.
01-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For landscape, pretty much any DSLRs will do as it is best done on tripod with lowest iso. The limiting factor is the lens sharpness across the frame. Most Pentax lenses have decent centre sharpness but weak toward the edge/corners. It much depends on one's expectation though.

01-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
For landscape, pretty much any DSLRs will do as it is best done on tripod with lowest iso. The limiting factor is the lens sharpness across the frame. Most Pentax lenses have decent centre sharpness but weak toward the edge/corners. It much depends on one's expectation though.
And f-stop. Most landscapes are shot a bit stopped down from maximum aperture. Generally by 3 stops down from maximum, any edge softness that is present is gone. If the OP is using lenses that cover the full 135 format, there may be very little edge softness anyway.
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And f-stop. Most landscapes are shot a bit stopped down from maximum aperture. Generally by 3 stops down from maximum, any edge softness that is present is gone.
Not always. Many lenses aren't great even at f8 afa edge/corner sharpness is concerned. This is often not an issue for many types of photography, but for landscape, every little detail counts.
01-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Not always. Many lenses aren't great even at f8 afa edge/corner sharpness is concerned. This is often not an issue for many types of photography, but for landscape, every little detail counts.
I think one would pretty much have to list the ones that aren't so good by name, since they will be very much the minority.
01-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It depends on the focal length. In the ultra-wide category, the Sigma 8-16 is the sharpest UWA zoom I know of currently, and it comes in Pentax mount. In the wide-normal category, the DA 12-24 is optically as sharp as the 15mm (just not as colorful or flare resistant). In the normal category, the 31 limited is pretty much as good as most other brand's best normal lens (for APS-C). It's sharp edge to edge. Going to long normal, the 50 F2.8 macro is sharp sharp sharp, loads sharper than the 43 limited.

As for camera.. I would think the k-5, with it being weatherproof, high dynamic range, great noise control with ISO (dusk and night landscapes), 16MP, etc etc would be a great contender when it comes down to landscape shots. There aren't that many other cameras that outright beat it.
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unregistered Quote
I have a fixed digital - have my old pentax cameras and lenses but am not sure which model would be best for me - any help greatly appreciated
In the DSLR world the lens is more important then the body, for example K-5 with standard 18-55mm lens (the best Pentax body if you can afford it) will do worst pictures then say K20D or k-r with better lens.

The point is get any body: K20D, k-x, k-r, K-7, K-5 and get one or two very sharp lenses. By the way it is not neccessary the lens to be wide angle. What matters is the landscape not how wide is the lens. Even sometimes with long 85mm or even 135mm you can get very nice results.

Here are some very sharp and not very expensive lenses:

SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8

Pentax-F 50mm F1.4

Pentax-F 50mm F2.8 Macro

Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7

SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8

If you by any chance have any of these just get the body.
01-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfie665 Quote
In the DSLR world the lens is more important then the body,----

---- By the way it is not neccessary the lens to be wide angle. What matters is the landscape not how wide is the lens. Even sometimes with long 85mm or even 135mm you can get very nice results.

-----
I very much agree. And no need to restrict oneself to below 135 mm. How about this one - which I would categorize myself as a landscape photograpoh - taken with a K200D (recommended!) and an old 300 mm Tamron Adaptall-2 lens (model 54B):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
01-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unregistered Quote
K-5 hands down the best landscape body I've used to date.