Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Peter Byrne

K-5 discontinuation?

Dear Ladies and Gents,

I have been saving hard for a considerable time, with my heart set on buying the K-5 and the Da 300mm On March 20th. I noticed on a blog today that there are rumours that the K-5 is now discontinued and I am now worried that stocks will dry up before the 20th. Can anyone confirm that this will be the case. I have looked forward to owning this dream of a kit for ages and to lose out now that Im so close would be very painful to say the least.

I have covered the reviews of the K-5 in depth and Im really anxious to begin my photographic adventures. However I have read the material related to the sensor stains and I have understood that this problem only exists in an early run of the K-5. If this is the case is there a range of serial numbers that should be avoided?

For the Da 300mm I have read the reviews here and at Photozone but have found nothing else. If you could point me to some more reviews or field tests that would be much appreciated.

In anticipation of your replies and help

Peter

01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, it won't. The instant rebate is being extended until March so the camera will be available at least until then. Considering that you can still buy the K-7 from Pentax USA despite its being discontinued almost a year ago, I'm sure that even once the K-5 gets officially discontinued, stock will remain around for a while. With that said, why not secure your copy now?

Bad serials are listed here, although it's hard to draw conclusions with 100% certainty as Pentax's serial numbers aren't always sequential: Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com A new camera shouldn't have any issues, so don't even worry about it.

Also, what's up with the "Mr" thread title? Do you guys think that field is for your personal title (because it's actually for the thread title)?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Peter Byrne

Thanks for that adam

Sorry, my brain was switched off I have just found an official announcement on the Pentax UK facebook site and it goes like this

"Pentax UK
Hi Guys

We can confirm that Japan has now ceased production of the PENTAX K-r. However, it will continue to be available to purchase in Europe until at least May.

Customers and users of the K-r can be assured that, as with all Pentax SLRS, future lens introductions will be compatible with the K-r body.

We can also confirm that rumours about the K-5 discontinuing are untrue."

That a relief!!!!!!

Can you say any thing further about the Da 300mm or the K-5 stain issue?

Peter
01-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here you are:
Pentax-DA 55-300mm Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As for the stain issue, it's a 2010 thing - aka a thing of the past.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Peter Byrne

Sorry Adam, goofed again :)

The lens I was trying to point to is the SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM.

Sorry
Peter
01-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ah, right- we don't have an in-depth review of that one, but there are plenty of threads and user reviews of it- do a search!

Adam

01-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Peter Byrne

Thanks Adam

Ill do as you suggest,

Peter

01-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Byrne Quote
Sorry, my brain was switched off I have just found an official announcement on the Pentax UK facebook site and it goes like this

"Pentax UK
Hi Guys

We can confirm that Japan has now ceased production of the PENTAX K-r. However, it will continue to be available to purchase in Europe until at least May.

Customers and users of the K-r can be assured that, as with all Pentax SLRS, future lens introductions will be compatible with the K-r body.

We can also confirm that rumours about the K-5 discontinuing are untrue."

That a relief!!!!!!

Can you say any thing further about the Da 300mm or the K-5 stain issue?

Peter
Pentax UK | Facebook
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-5 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Even if a new model is announced, there will be plenty of K-5s around for quite a while. As far as I know, one can still buy a brand new K-7 if inclined to do so, and that camera has been discontinued for a long time.