Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Unregistered

External flash problem

Hi All

I have a K200d and a Sigma EF-530 DG ST flash and have had some success with it. In the caves at Cheddar Gorge I was able to get great photos of the flowstone and stalagmites etc. I have had trouble taking informal portriats at a retirement party and at a sales function where all the shots were underexposed. Retook some of these with the pop up flash and they were perfect.

Done tests at home and camera set to AUTO and flash to TTL results under exposed by approx 2 stops. Angle the head for a bounce shot and its nearly perfect. Fit a Stofen defusser and aim flash direct and it near perfect.

Tried the same with the camera set to P and Av with the same result. Read the section in the camera manual and the flash manual and can't see where I'm going wrong!!

Any help or suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

André

02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't know your flash at all, but are you aware that the K200D does not do TTL? P-TTL is not the same thing. I don't know if your flash is P-TTL capable.
02-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the flash does support P-TTL, but if you set it to TTL (as opposed to P-TTL) then it won't work properly on your K200D.

Sigma EF-530 DG Super reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well, Adam linked to the wrong flash (Super not ST), but he is right. Your model does support P-TTL as noted here: Sigma EF-530 DG ST reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
If you go to the articles section of the site Accessory and Memory Articles - PentaxForums.com there are several articles that might have information to help you solve your problem.

02-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #5

Hi All

Thanks for the info it's much appreciated, The paperwork included witht he flash say it is PTTL but it only has 3 settings. TTL Full power and 1/16 power. Small print says Serial controlled TTL Auto zoom?? I'm beginning to suspect I got some good photos with this by pure blind luck!!
I've read all of the articles but as I'm relativly new to digital I'm still lost. Previous camera was a film K1000 so I could use it in manual mode as that is what I'm used to but it seems a shame to not take advantage of the features if possible.

Any ideas as to how to get this to work would be great or do I stick it on the Bay?

Thanks again

André