Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
chrisskin

PENTAX ISTD S No image recorded

Can anyone please help. My husband a Pentax ISTD S. Suddenly when a picture has been taken the screen stays black no images appear. The screen will show pictures taken previously. When the sd card is put in another camera old images are visible but none of the new ones that have tried to be taken. Also sometimes a small egg timer symbol appears. Briefly a message says No image recorde.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you

02-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're married to a camera? Jk!

Was the card properly inserted into the camera, and was the camera in P mode?

Is there nothing on the card at all, or black images?

Try also formatting the card.
02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try another SD card - easiest way to narrow down the problem.
09-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
JoWashington

no image recorded.

I know where you're coming from; I'm having the same problem with my Pentax *istD.
I've changed batteries, changed SD cards, reset the camera and nothing so far has worked; I suspect it's a sensor issue. I've heard talk that the sensor for the Pentax *istD is a Sony sensor, but I don't know if it's replaceable or not...
My Dad agrees, but I've been looking for other solutions across the web. It's a great camera, and I don't want to replace it...
I've also heard across the forums that the issue could be related to the aperture in the lens. I'm going the change lens' to see if that's what the problem is, I'm hoping for the easy solution, but I'll keep you updated.
If no easy solution is found, I suspect that my next step will be to send my camera in to a reputable camera repair shop.

09-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JoWashington Quote
I know where you're coming from; I'm having the same problem with my Pentax *istD.
I've changed batteries, changed SD cards, reset the camera and nothing so far has worked; I suspect it's a sensor issue. I've heard talk that the sensor for the Pentax *istD is a Sony sensor, but I don't know if it's replaceable or not...
My Dad agrees, but I've been looking for other solutions across the web. It's a great camera, and I don't want to replace it...
I've also heard across the forums that the issue could be related to the aperture in the lens. I'm going the change lens' to see if that's what the problem is, I'm hoping for the easy solution, but I'll keep you updated.
If no easy solution is found, I suspect that my next step will be to send my camera in to a reputable camera repair shop.
Try taking a photo with no lens on the camera and no card at a slow shutter speed. The display should basically be 100% white after shooting. If it's black, then your sensor is probably busted.

As one of the earliest and most basic models, I don't think it would make much sense to try fixing your camera. I would recommend upgrading to something more modern, but if you want to stick to the DS, you can get them for pretty cheap used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: