Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Jack L

Not turning on

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

i have a Pentax K-r camera and charged it fully this morning. I put the battery in as usual and when i got to the location to use it, it would not turn on at all. It was just black screen, nothing worked or did anything.

Is this a recurring problem that others have had? Or shall i take it in to the place i purchased it from?

02-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This might be a trivial question but going through the basics, are you sure the battery actually did get charged? I've had more than one (in a hurry) instance where I plugged my battery charger on a wall switch (in off) controlled outlet without realizing it and didn't even bother to look at the charger lights whether they were on or not.
02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could it be that you charge the battery connected a power-bar with the on/off switch in OFF position?
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, what kind of batteries, and how new? Could be they are spent. Or just not good enough (eg, anything but the various hybrid/precharged/low-self-discharge models).

02-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also make sure you put in the battery correctly. On the K-5, it's actually possible to insert it backwards in the grip, which I didn't realized until after I came home thinking my camera was dead...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #6

It makes me relax when I read of other people's errors with their cameras! Maybe I can quit being so aggravated with myself for 'doing something wrong' now I know that it is a common experience.
03-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

Hi Guys, I'm having the same issue on my K5. I charged the battery yesterday, the green light went off after a couple of hours. When I inserted the battery into the camera body it would not power on. I currently do not have the optional power adapter or a spare battery. Any ideas on what I can try? Thanks in advance.

03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You could think about visiting a local respectable camera store (please call first) that stocks the K5 or K7 as I believe they both use the D-L190 battery pack, and ask to use one of their demonstration batteries to test your camera. This might help you narrow down your issues.
03-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip Matt. The online store I bought it from told me to send it back for a repair/replacement. I only had the camera for 7 days. Fingers crossed the second camera doesn't have any issues.