Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Simone

*ist D - photos overexposed

I purchased an *ist D secondhand just over a year ago. When shooting outdoors in bright light, the photos all come out overexposed. I am shooting with an older Pentax lens, aperture priority on f22. I can't seem to change the ISO from 200, and the shutter speed flashes 1/4000. Can anyone suggest what's going wrong?

02-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you following this procedure when shooting:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html ?

You need to be in M mode with manual K-mount lenses, not Av. Also, how on earth did you pull off overexposing at F22, ISO 200 and 1/4000s?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

What is probably happening is just you shooting at the lenses maximum aperture, causing the shots to be overexposed. The 1/4000 flashing indicates that a faster shutter speed is necessary for the shot, which the *ist D is not capable of. Make sure you're shooting on Manual mode and you've selected F22 on the len's apperture ring.
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simone Quote
I purchased an *ist D secondhand just over a year ago. When shooting outdoors in bright light, the photos all come out overexposed. I am shooting with an older Pentax lens, aperture priority on f22. I can't seem to change the ISO from 200, and the shutter speed flashes 1/4000. Can anyone suggest what's going wrong?
When using older lenses that are K mount but do not have an A position, you can't use aperture priority. You have to shoot manual, the camera will always shoot wide open