Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Puppet head

K1000 Terminology

Hello there i need some help and this is all i could turn to can someone tell me the fuction of all these parts of the pentax-k1000

Focusing Ring
Lens Cap Cover
Aperture
Shutter
Lens

03-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.Focussing Ring : Ring on lens turned manually to bring your subject into sharp focus.

.Lens cap cover : A small plastic cover (lid) placed on front of lens to protect lens when not in use.

Aperture : Adjustment to size of opening in lens to control amount of light entering lens/film

Shutter : The mechanism that that opens and shuts to admit light into the lens/camera hence to expose film for fractions of a second to create photo . Operates when shutter release button pushed.

Lens : The lens is on the front of the camera and regulates the size, orientation, light etc for your photo. No lens, no photo. Look at any picture of any camera and the lens is more than obvious.

I would have thought that some of these would be self explanatory. No worries. These are just very brief descriptions.
03-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #3

It's great that you're learning about cameras, but this is really basic stuff. I'd recommend that you get a photography beginners book from a second hand store - the older the better, preferably 1970s or 80s. If you forget everything you have experienced with camera phones and auto-everything cameras you're actually in a good position. Focus, the ISO (how sensitive the film/sensor is to light), shutter (how long the film/sensor is exposed to the light) and aperture (effects the amount of light reaching the film/sensor and how much is in focus) - that is all you need to know. Everything else is just subtleties.

Enjoy the journey!

David