Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
oplumb24

lenses

what other makes of lenses will fit my pentax k10d

03-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest looking at the third party lens review on this site, they will all work for you. Perhaps RioRico will copy and paste his answer to a similar post yesterday : )
03-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Good advice given - a starting point

QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
I suggest looking at the third party lens review on this site, they will all work for you. Perhaps RioRico will copy and paste his answer to a similar post yesterday : )
Bonjour,

In case you cannot find the PF site section, here it is: Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Lens Review Database

Also, it may not be evident, but one can use M42 lenses as well (new and legacy glass) ... best with a good adapter, like the OEM Pentax which is not expensive in the US.

Hopes this helps ... Salut, John le Frog
03-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like to add that as long as they are K-mount, they will fit. Be aware of some older lenses with the infamous Ricoh pin that can get stuck on the camera and will take some effort to get off.

And of course the stuff for which an adapter is available (like the M42 mentioned by John).

03-17-2012, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
Perhaps RioRico will copy and paste his answer to a similar post yesterday : )
Moi, shamelessly plagiarize myself? OK, here 'tis:

For hints on cheap lenses, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Zillions of lenses are available to fit your K10D or my K20D etc. I only have 233 of them; it's a start. Pentax-made lenses come in a few series or lines, as follows:

* Takumars, maybe prefixed with Auto- or Super- or S-M-C- or Macro- or Tele-. Most Takumars are M42 screw-mount. These need a simple M42-PK adapter. Folks with only a few M42s should have an Official Pentax adapter, safe but not cheap. Those of us with many M42s buy a lot of cheap clone adapters, after taking precautions. They're not difficult to use buy you'll probably want to start with PK (bayonet-mount) lenses.

* Some Takumars, called Takumar Bayonet or Takumar-A or Takumar-F, are budget PK-mount lenses. They may be pretty decent, and fairly cheap, but aren't as well-liked as other sexier Pentaxi. They're similar to their K- or M-series kin, but lack advanced coatings for flare control. They're still better than much of the competition.

* All other Pentax bayonet lenses say SMC (super-multi-coated) on the front or body. These come in various lines of manual-focus (MF) and autofocus (AF) glass. The AF lenses will say SMC-F or -FA or -FA-J or -DFA (for full-frame cameras), or SMC-DA or -DA-L (for APS-C dSLRs -- these lack aperture rings and may vignette on full-frame cameras). All of these have electric aperture automation as well as autofocus. Manual-focus PK lenses come in these lines (chronologically):

-- K-series just say SMC with no series indicator. These have only manual aperture control.
-- M-series say SMC-M. They operate the same as K-series, but tend to be a bit smaller.
-- A-series say SMC-A. They have the same electric aperture automation as AF lenses.

The easiest MF lenses to start with are A-types. Third-party lenses for Pentax may be of any of the above types. A-types from any maker can be told by looking at the aperture ring -- if it has a position marked A or P, it's an A-type. (AF lenses have an A-position too.) It it's marked P, it's compatible with old Ricoh SLRs, and may be labeled as KR mount. WARNING: Some of those KR's contain the dreaded Ricoh pin, which may get stuck in a PK-AF mount and is a nuisance to remove. Avoid those at first -- stick to A-types.

A-type lenses allow aperture control from the camera, and you can use any exposure mode. K- and M-type lenses only have manual aperture control. On the main menu, set USING APERTURE RING to PERMITTED. Set your K10D's exposure mode to M(anual) and press the Green button for metering and exposure. This isn't difficult but it's easy to forget, and A-types really are simpler to start with. Ah, but M-types tend to cost less. That's important for cheap bastards like me. I have about twice as many M-types as A-types 'cause those are what I can afford.

So, what lenses to look for? There are brands, and there are focal lengths. Are many decent A-type primes badged as Vivitar, Sigma|Quantaray, Tamron|Promaster, Tokina, Toyo|TOU, Sears, Focal, Zeiss, and of course Pentax. Samyang has a new series of A-type primes badged under various names; for new lenses, these are real bargains. But I like old cheap stuff.

The least expensive and most common focal lengths left over from film days are 50mm, 28mm, 135mm, 35mm, and 200mm. Note that on our dSLRs, 50mm is short tele, good for head+shoulder portraits; 35mm is long-normal, which some prefer; and 28mm is 'normal', close to the diagonal of the camera frame. I use 50s and 28s more than 35s and 40s. Your mileage may vary.

How to choose a focal length when buying a prime? Tape your kit lens to 24-28-35-45-55mm for a few days each and see where you're comfortable. Where would I start if I had to build a prime kit from scratch? Probably something like A-types at 50/1.7, 28/2.8, 135/2.8, 24/2.8, 90/2.8 macro, in that order. But it all depends on desire and budget. Have fun!
03-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Merci ... always good to read (again)

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Moi, shamelessly plagiarize myself? OK, here 'tis:

For hints on cheap lenses, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Zillions of lenses are available to fit your K10D or my K20D etc. I only have 233 of them; it's a start. Pentax-made lenses come in a few series or lines, as follows: ...

Have fun!
C'est super!

A+, J Frog
03-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Somthing that might nit be obvious: most third parties like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, etc make different version of each of their lenses. So you can say, Sigma lenses do or don't fit Pentax cameras. Each particular Sigma lens comes in a Pentax version as well as a Nikon version, a Canon version, a Sony version, etc. So it doesn't make sense to ask what makes will fit. Almost all makes will fit - *if* you et the specific version of the lenses designed to fit Pentax. So when looking at a lens, don't look at the maker to figure out if it fits or not, look at what type of camera it says it is designed to fit. The description should say.
03-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I find one thing about third party lenses very uncomfortable. It may not bother you, but I want all my focus rings, zoom rings and aperture rings to turn the same way for the same effect. For example, I am sure the new Sigma 180 macro in the site news is a perfect optical lens, but looking at the picture, to focus to infinity I would have to turn the lens the opposite way of the rest of my lenses. No go for me. You may not care; it is simply something to consider.