Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Andycat68

My K-5 Got Wet

Hi, My K-5 got wet today while rock climbing on the coast. It froze & wouldnt respond at all. The moisture came in through where the lens & body go together. It was only a small amount but not sure what to do next. I have sat it in the sun to dry it out but am affraid of trying to refit the battery & start it up in case it damages it more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As sad as it is to say, i actually cried when it stopped working. Only had it 2 months. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

03-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let it dry out completely -- take the lens off and open the battery door and put it in a bag with silica gel packs and literally let it sit for four or five days. Once you are sure that all the moisture is out, then try it again.

Good luck!
03-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
May I ask which lens you had on it at the time?
03-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good idea ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Let it dry out completely -- take the lens off and open the battery door and put it in a bag with silica gel packs and literally let it sit for four or five days. Once you are sure that all the moisture is out, then try it again.

Good luck!
Bonjour,

Good advice for the silica ... and what lens was it?

Bon courage et surtout bonne chance !

Salut, John le Frog

03-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I wouldn't worry too much about the camera, if you do what was suggested with the silica gel - dry rice is a good substitute btw - you should find it comes back to life. I brought a phone that had been through a hot wash in the machine back to life like that it it worked perfectly once dry; modern electronics tend to be surprisingly robust.
03-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hey thanks for the advice guys. Will do that when i get home. The lens was a Tamron AF 18-200 f3.5-6.3 xr di-ii ld. it has some moisture in it as well so will try the same. Thanks again guys this is an awesome forum...will let u know how it goes...cheers
03-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

How's the camera? Hope it's dried out and is working as it should again.

03-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andycat68 Quote
Hey thanks for the advice guys. Will do that when i get home. The lens was a Tamron AF 18-200 f3.5-6.3 xr di-ii ld. it has some moisture in it as well so will try the same. Thanks again guys this is an awesome forum...will let u know how it goes...cheers
Just to bump further - the Tamron lens is not weather-sealed. The k-5 is weather-sealed when the lens attached to it is weather-sealed too.
03-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Hey the camera didnt start up again so i put it in to get looked at. Still waiting to hear what the damage is. Cheers
03-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've seen cameras that cost many thousands - and when they receive water damage... IF the user is not able to somehow dry it out and then later get it to work at a later point by themselves, then... It simply is not practically worth fixing - unless we're talking about a Leica, Hasselblad, or something of the like.

Think of it as having a vehicle and then having to replace the entire wiring harness (the many miles of it); darn on that one cause unless it would be a Mercedes you'll might as well go out and buy a new car. Imagine the labor rate on that one.
03-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andycat68 Quote
Hey the camera didnt start up again so i put it in to get looked at. Still waiting to hear what the damage is. Cheers
Hopefully its something not too crazy to fix. If its the sensor/SR its gonna be pricey. Did you purchase with a credit card? Some cards have purchase insurance that covers gear for 3 months if anything happens your fault or not. My visa is like this, worth a look. Otherwise if the repair is costly Pentax may offer you a replacement at a discount.

Good luck!
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Caffeinated K-x!

A while ago I had my K-x around my neck, with the power on. I too a sip of my coffee and the lid came free and spilled coffee all over the K-x. It died on the spot. I was sick. I removed the batteries, took it home, took off the lens, put it into a bowl of rice, sealed the bowl and left it for a couple of days. When I took it out and inserted the batteries it came to life. Works fine. And no more coffee smell either! These things are quite robust.
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
A while ago I had my K-x around my neck, with the power on. I too a sip of my coffee and the lid came free and spilled coffee all over the K-x. It died on the spot. I was sick. I removed the batteries, took it home, took off the lens, put it into a bowl of rice, sealed the bowl and left it for a couple of days. When I took it out and inserted the batteries it came to life. Works fine. And no more coffee smell either! These things are quite robust.
Certanly seems so, have you seen this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/178068-i-swear-these-thi...ructible.html?
Not your camera, but anyway.
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

@Giklab: Thanks for that link. Good read.