Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
J R

Netbook

I have Pentax ACD on my laptop, but have just bought a Netbook to take on holiday, but a netbook doesn't have a dvd drive, how can I transfer ACD from my laptop to my netbook ?

04-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I know on my Mac I can use a remote disc feature over my network to access the physical DVD drive of another computer. I believe windows has the same option.

JJ
04-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The most straightforward way would be a USB CD/DVD drive. I have previously made an image of a CD (you'd do this on the laptop) and then used a virtual CD drive software with the image (this would be on the netbook, you could have the image on a memory stick/card). This worked for some version of the game Civilization I used to have where having the CD in the drive was required but inconvenient. Also, simply copying everything (possibly including the volume label) from the CD to a memory stick / card(, making that read-only) and running the installer from there might work.
04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The remote option sounds very convenient, should work by sharing the drive on the laptop and using it as a network drive on the netbook (requires a shared network, of course, but you probably have that).

04-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The remote option sounds very convenient, should work by sharing the drive on the laptop and using it as a network drive on the netbook (requires a shared network, of course, but you probably have that).

A home network is useful, but not required. A crossover ethernet cable is all you need.

If you do have a home hetwork, use it. If not, buy a crossover cable and connect the ethernet ports on both computers. If you have a single-line DSL or cable modem, you will have to disconnect one computer from the modem temporarily.

A crossover cable is a special ethernet cable that connects the transmit line of one computer to the receive line of the other and vice versa. In effect, you have a tiny, two-node network.

Read up on Windows network file sharing. Basically, you have to "share" the disk or folder on one computer, making that resource available to other computers on the network. Then, on your netbook, you "map" a network drive to that shared disk or folder. This creates a virtual drive using one of the unused drive letters.

You can then install from that virtual drive onto the netbook.

Beware, though, that I have encountered software that detects an attempt to install over the network and refuses to install. This is usually a lame attempt to prevent bootleg copying.

As someone else suggested, there are USB-connected CD/DVD drives available. I think I've seen DVD read-only drives for as little as $20 on ebay. For not a whole lot more, you can get an external USB DVD burner.