Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
Anthony

K10D Autofocus Motor

Hi,
My K10D stopped working while shooting today. The autofocus motor just stopped. Focus confirmation is still working.
At the same time I noticed that "MF" was displayed in the viewfinder- putting the switch to MF and back to AF-S or AF-C does nothing. Also the LCD screen indicates that exposure bracketing is turned on from 0 to +2.5... I wasn't using bracketing at the time.
Finally regardless of what lens is inserted the camera asks for the focal length (for shake reduction)- as if an old manual focus lens was being used.
Firmware is the latest version.

Has anyone encountered something like this before?

Thanks for any info

04-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #2

Hello,

Ignoring the bracketing thing, It sounds like the camera is unable to identify the lens. It won't autofocus a lens it doesn't recognize.

My guess is the connectors on either the camera or the lens mount give a bad connection. Question is what to do about it.

I had this, and some other problems including inability to step down lenses when the K-mount on my K-10D was in the process of breaking. Finally, the mount broke totally and I had to say goodbye to it.

Be careful if screwing/unscrewing the mount for tightening, or for exploratory surgery. They screw into plastic and not metal (As far as I can tell, this is true for all K-mount DSLRs), and using a little too much force will turn your K-10D into mine.
04-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might also try cleaning the contacts before doing anything else (on both the lens and the body) this happens occasionally when the contacts get dirty/lightly oxidized as well (before fiddling with screws etc)
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Anthony

Thanks guys, I can't see anything wrong with the contacts or anything else for that matter. Looks like it's junk now...

04-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given the resale on them now it's probably not worth a repair unless it's cheap (ie under say $200) you can pick up a used one from 225-300 depending on condition and # of actuations)

If you have the cash of course the K5 is a really nice jump (I have the K7 and it was a big jump from the K10)

Edit:
Or if everything else is fine slap an EEs screen in it and make it a dedicated Manual Focus camera
04-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #6

I actually missed my K10D despite buying the K20D to replace it. The K20D just felt noisier and the colors were not quite as vivid. I hear the K-7 was much like it. But when I got my K-5, I forgot all about it. So for an upgrade, I think it's clear what you'd want.