Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtomlin76 Quote
Keep looking around for used K20's or K7's. .....
I gave my daughter a K-r...
I cried when I saw how much cleaner noisewise it was than my K-7

Pete

04-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

congrats getting published !
I would relax about getting another body and work on a couple of very good lenses.
The K-r will give awesome images with almost the dynamic range of the K-5
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by jay wes Quote
As a hobby, things got serious when I got a two page spread published in a national performance car magazine. It was coverage of a big auto event inwhich I had attended (Published in Jan. 12'). I was and still am excited and happy for my work getting in there; like 25 photos! Mind you I used my Nikon P80. Now having partnered with the editor of the mag and director of events, I have another up and coming automotive event which I am covering, I decided I should really prepare and get even better coverage this time around so upgraded gear was a must. This will be an all day event outdoor with cars, vendors and track events.

The gear I have:
K-r with kit lens (18-55mm)
F 35-70mm (off eBay)
F 70-210mm (off eBay)
Manfrotto Tripod
2 Extra LI-ion batteries & car charger
AA k-r adapter
Camera bag
Circular Polarizing & UV filters & hoods
Lens cleaning kit
SD cards & case
Comfortable neck/shoulder strap
04-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I gave my daughter a K-r...
I cried when I saw how much cleaner noisewise it was than my K-7

Pete
I've never shot a K-anything other than my K-5, so I wouldn't know other than what I've read, but I haven't heard anyone brag about the K-7 in low light or high ISO. But, for his purposes, a good used K-7 under $500 would be a great idea. I think the K-200 or 20 have polymer bodies, no? One of the reasons that I chose the K-5 over the a65, EOS 60D or D7000 was the magnesuim body; more robust for minimally more weight.
04-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Fair enough
The K-7 body and layout is sweet
Pete

04-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #20

Thanks for the added responses. I ended up getting a used K10d. Turns out its got > 1000 shutter uses which is practically brand new (for >$300!). So I couldn't pass it up. Awaiting delivery now. This will serve me as a decent back up. I opted to go this way due to the great deal and learning more on what I have. I am thinking of a 35mm or 50mm prime before the event but that may be a stretch. I've gotten some good images with my current setup and will work with it for the next few months.

Also, when I upgrade, I'm going straight to the K-5. There's no ifs ands or buts about it, so my money is better suited on lenses from now and on.
04-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats Jay, and when you get your new-to-you K10D, lets see some shots!

NaCl(welcome to the land of LBA)H2O
04-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

K10 is an excellent camera, particularly given you can find it for $300 or less without difficulty. It's my backup now but for many years was my main camera. up to iso 640 or so it's capable of excellent iq without high levels of noise reduction needed. at 800 - 1600 it is capable of good iq, and with the right PP can look good (at the highest iso i lean to b/w with added grain to emulate pushed film). The K7 is good to 1600 without much PP effort and is built like a brick you should be able to find one for the 500+ range. K20 is about the same level of performance as the k7 but with k10 level features. Like someone said if you are looking at K20 prices the K7 will likely represent better value (I know I prefer the K7 ergonomics and it feels better built and the menus are better. likely it will be lower actuations as well though low actuation unis are available on all 3 if you keep your eyes open
04-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #23

I got the k10d in hand a few days ago. Camera body is practically brand new. 919 shutter count! I think I had more shutter count than that in the first month of having my K-r. Got it for $279 USD too! A steal if I may say myself. Came with battery, strap and aftermarket charger. I was messing around with the K10d last night. I like the feel out it, heavier and sturdier than my k-r. I am able to cycle through the f/, shutter speed and iso easier on the k-r but I think that may be because I am more familiar with the it. I will get some shots up soon from the k10d. Definitely like having the weather sealing too.

Check all that I've captured so far with my k-r on my Flickr. See my sig for the link. Thanks guys for all the input. I will be upping my lens game now. Next body I update to will be a k-5+

04-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Great sturdy camera. It is heavier, but a durable workhorse. Keep ISO between 100 and 400 and you'll be very happy with the results.