Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Unregistered

Da* 200mm SDM lens

Question:
Is it normal for the SDM motor to have to warm up before its focuses?

This is what I was told by a pentax empoyee when I brought it in for servicing.
Do you think I have been mislead?

The Da* 200 mm lens is the lens I'm Talking about. Iwould think it should try and focus as soon as i press the shutter, correct?

Any comments out there!

05-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the da*200's cousin, the da*300, almost every day for the last 3 years. But sometimes between the weather and my own issues the lens has gone untouched for a week and I found that it needed a couple of false starts before it was fully up to speed and accuracy. When used every day it is good from the first try but if it has been sitting I always exercise the AF as i walk out the door just so its ready to go. Does not seem to be getting worse although I do not recall it acting like this the first time I used it. There was a recent thread similar to this in the last couple months and a few others also noted giving the SDM a couple front-back movements before shooting. My best guess is its lens dependent and yours may never need to stretch a little as it agess.
05-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I use the da*200's cousin, the da*300, almost every day for the last 3 years. But sometimes between the weather and my own issues the lens has gone untouched for a week and I found that it needed a couple of false starts before it was fully up to speed and accuracy. When used every day it is good from the first try but if it has been sitting I always exercise the AF as i walk out the door just so its ready to go. Does not seem to be getting worse although I do not recall it acting like this the first time I used it. There was a recent thread similar to this in the last couple months and a few others also noted giving the SDM a couple front-back movements before shooting. My best guess is its lens dependent and yours may never need to stretch a little as it agess.
I agree with you, iamtheguy!

The long DA* lenses sometimes need a "kick start", reason why I had been whining about it in another thread.

JP
05-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I confuse the world of Pentax by leaving out the apostrophe but its still IMTHEGUY, no "A" required. :evil:

Never had the SDM refuse to start up, just had it give up too soon when its been sitting for too long; one full stroke then quits trying. But I have so many pics with that lens I can never say i didnt get my money's worth.

05-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once read that there's a capacitor in some of the SDM lenses that discharges slowly when the lens is unmounted or powered off. It takes a little while to recharge after power-on and then the AF motor works again.

I also have the DA200 and I've never personally experienced the phenomenon. My DA200 sometimes goes unused for months - a pity though.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Thanks for all your replies,though I'm still not sure if I should have the SDM motor replaced before the warrenty is up?
Any comments out there?
05-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would just get it replaced. Take advantage of the warranty while you've got it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: