Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
steve7cat

catch in focus not working

sorry I can not find the answer in the previously posts.
I can not get my k-x to fire in CIF mode. I have enabled it in the menu I have set AF to s in the menu, and the switch on the body to Af I have tried two different M lenses and an A lens I hope I have missed something because I am worried the camera may have a fault. It seems to do everything else it should. But as I expect you can guess I am new to this.Thank you to anyone who responds to this Steve

05-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread offers a few pointers:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/143803-...t-working.html

There are a few others in the similar threads listing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steve7cat Quote
sorry I can not find the answer in the previously posts.
I can not get my k-x to fire in CIF mode. I have enabled it in the menu I have set AF to s in the menu, and the switch on the body to Af I have tried two different M lenses and an A lens I hope I have missed something because I am worried the camera may have a fault. It seems to do everything else it should. But as I expect you can guess I am new to this.Thank you to anyone who responds to this Steve
See if you have the AF point linked to AE. I don't think that you want them linked. If the exposure is way out (meaning it can't do an AE) then your shutter probably won't fire.
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

oops, double post, sorry

05-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Does it always fire, even when not in focus? For me this is happening with one old manual lens (old cheapo non-Pentax brand), but not another (Pentax M). I don't quote know why.
So basically, here is the whole process:
1) Turn CIF on in the menu
2) Use a manual lens or a lens that can be set to manual on the lens itself
3) Set the camera to AF.S and M mode, use green button to meter, set camera body to AF
4) You might need to go to menu and set AF.S to not allow you to shoot until in focus (focus priority)
5) Push the shutter button and hold it. When something becomes in-focus, it will fire. You can test this by slowly turning the focus ring until something is in focus.

Or does it never fire? In that case I don't have experience.
05-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is probably far off. I seem to remember with my Kx that it mattered that I set the AF to AF-s with an AF lens prior to attaching a manual focus lens. Even if you change the setting to AF-s after the MF lens is attached it would not help with CIF. That being said I have since upgraded my firmware and can't seem to reproduce that problem. I wonder if the op is using the most current firmware. If not. Go ahead and update. As I said, I may be far off.

Mark
05-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
steve7cat

catch in focus not working

thank you will test tonight
steve
05-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes some lenses just don't allow CIF. The trick around it is to put some aluminium foil between the body and the lens. I have a kx, and my Jupiter 37a and Meyer 50/1.8 won't do CIF unless there's some al foil in between. It's because the lens body is too small and doesn't short circuit the AF or something techy like that. Hope that helps - if you haven't found that solution already

05-14-2012, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #9

steve

It does appear it was THe AF linked to AE turned that option off and the CIF worked fine. The dull weather may not have been helping.
Thank you for your replies I have become a member of this forum It is very interesting .Many of my internet searches bring me here anyway it seems most questions regarding pentax can be answered here. cheers to all those who participate helping us new to photography.

Steve
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

after checking out all the other threads on this subject I Had given up on my cif then came across this thread and one sentence point 5. "Push the shutter button and hold it" Na horuk genius! works every time now.

Many thanks
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ah, Thanks guys, I finally managed to make Catch in Focus work on my K30.

For next person like me who loved to assign focus to the AF button on the back of K30, It was the main thing that caused camera to capture photo right after pressing shutter!
Here is more explanation, I customized AF/AE-L button to "Enable AF2" option, which means it will do the auto focus instead of shutter half press, and when I tried to use Catch in Focus, it was just capturing the out of focus view! when I changed back this setting to default, it started to work!
So, I suggest to next person who reached here in his search about why his Catch in focus not work, just reset all of the menu options that related to AF somehow and try again