Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Donal

Saving images TO sd card on k-x

Hi.
Does anyone know if there is a way to view images (.jpg) on a k-x that have been saved TO its sd card from a computer?
Regards,
Donal

firmware v1.03
OS10.4.11

05-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have the SD card formatted first by the camera, then put the SD card into the computer, ensuring you save the photo into its DCIM folder so the camera can 'see' it, then it should appear when you use the camera with this SD card.
05-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you're wanting to know how to get your images to the computer:
You can view or transfer your photos on a computer using the USB connector that comes with the camera to link the camera straight to your computer; OR
Some computers have a built-in slot for SD cards (some printers have this feature too); OR
you can use a card reader that can read SD cards which plug into the computer.
05-12-2012, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean transferring jpeg from computer and saving it to sd card in camera so the camera can dispaly it on it's lcd monitor? If so it is tricky. The computer does something to the jpeg that won't allow it to be played back from sd card. Pentax rep told me the only way I have ever heard to do ths.

You have to hook camera to computer ( no card reader). You must have AcDsee editing software ( used to come free with Pentax cameras). Under create this program will alllow you to put computer pics back into the camera and view them.

Never understood why computers and card readers change jpegs so much they wouldn't work back in camera.
thanks
barondla

05-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, I was talking about getting the jpeg from the camera to the computer (which I believed might be the problem the original poster might have been referencing). Sorry if I wasn't clear.
05-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just get a card reader with a USB port, cheap and widely available. Take the SD card out of the camera, put it into the SD card reader and then plug it to the computer.
05-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Donal

Thanks barondla (and everyone). I'll check it out.
Donal
05-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Donal

Hi barondla.
Unfortunately seems that ACDSee won't work on os10.4. Indeed you would think that the camera would be able to read jpegs transferred FROM computer regardless of whatever was done to the files by computers. Maybe they could include feature in a firmware update or even with 'Pentax digital camera utility'.
Thanks,
Donal

05-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Do you mean transferring jpeg from computer and saving it to sd card in camera so the camera can dispaly it on it's lcd monitor? If so it is tricky. The computer does something to the jpeg that won't allow it to be played back from sd card. Pentax rep told me the only way I have ever heard to do ths.

You have to hook camera to computer ( no card reader). You must have AcDsee editing software ( used to come free with Pentax cameras). Under create this program will alllow you to put computer pics back into the camera and view them.

Never understood why computers and card readers change jpegs so much they wouldn't work back in camera.
thanks
barondla
Hi.
I've found that in order for the camera (k-x) to even see the transferred jpegs that the filenames must be 8 characters long and that the last 4 of these characters must be numbers. However applications like photoshop change the jpegs exif tags to jfif with the resulting message "This image cannot be displayed" on the camera. Opening up jpegs in a text editor shows what's going on in the jpeg header but I haven't been able to find a tool to convert jpeg tags. If anybody has any suggestion in addition to ACDSee (haven't had opportunity to check this yet) that would be great.
Thanks,
donal

k-x v1.03
OS10.4.11
(and access to OS10.6.8 machine if no other option)

Last edited by Donal; 05-25-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: incomplete information
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Cannot help you in this special case.

But I found putting JPGs back to ANY camera to display them there is generally a problem. Cameras have a very restricted ROM size regarding all its functions. Because of this, the DOS (DiskOperationSystem) and JPG functions are stripped down to the absolute minimum the camera needs to work. This means
  1. It will ignore all directory entries on the card which are not exactly as if the camera would have stored it
  2. There are thousands of allowed combinations of jpg settings which all comply with the standard. Good external programs can handle all of them. Cameras usually offer 3-5 different compressions which the manufacturer picked from the possible ones. For these he applied appropriate settings of all the other jpg parameters. The camera can expand only what is compressed as it could have done it itself.
  3. To avoid problems in the future, NEVER work with the originals! Keep them safe and write protected (this doesn't help always, as some programs just ignore the write protection tag at least with MS Windows)!