Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Francesca

Pentax WG1 GPS - Hot or Not?

Hey Guys

I'm after a tough waterproof camera to have some fun with. I fell for the orange Pentax WG1 (GPS) about a month ago, however, after searching online I have found a lot of negative reviews on it. I've since checked out what Nikon and Panasonic have to offer and I have to say that none of their waterproof cameras appeal to me the way the WG1 does. I've just sold my SLR Nikon and I really want something I can throw in a bag and hike with. Lumix and Nikon's tough cameras all seem shiny and scrapable and not that grip-able, whereas the Pentax WG series really look the part. Can anyone advise me on this? Any users out there? I asked about it in a well-known camera shop and surprisingly Pentax, as a brand, was immediately talked down for image quality (just made me wonder which brand their commission relied on). I just cannot believe this is true. Any comments? Pentax WG1 GPS - hot or not? (I'm not that keen on the GPS feature, I've heard it will gobble up battery life?)

Thanks

Francesca

06-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an older Olympus 850SW, and I agree the Pentax look tougher. It's been a little tank, though. Oly and Pentax have experience with shock-and-waterproof cameras. The others are newer to the game.

None of these P&S cameras are going to have the IQ of a decent DSLR, but they do well enough and you're much more likely to take the camera with you when you're hiking or canoeing etc. You can always look at the review sites like Cnet or dpreview.
06-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Francesca

Thanks so much for your advice, I'll look into it.
06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

I owned a WG1 grey color version with GPS. WG1 is nice for outdoor activities. I brought it to beach and snookering. GPS sensor is a bit slow so I didnt use it and turn it off for saving battery life!