Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
I am only basing this upon my own experience with two teenagers (one son and one daughter), so don't take it personally. Pentax, nor any other camera manufacturer that I'm aware of, offers a bullet proof, pizza proof, "left in black car in the desert" proof camera that will withstand a 60 ton tank running over it or being dropped off a 1,200 cliff. And even if they did, it still wouldn't have been safe around my kids.

So my recommendation is buy something cheap (used perhaps) that won't leave you penniless and heartbroken when it gets destroyed.

07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
So my recommendation is buy something cheap (used perhaps) that won't leave you penniless and heartbroken when it gets destroyed.
Depends on the teenager. When I was a teenager (and even when I was a kid) I babied the Hell outta my stuff. I still have LPs that sound as good now as they did when I bought them 31 years ago as a 12 year old.

That said, I would recommend a cheap used DSLR for the teenage DSLR-newbie just on principle. There's really no sane reason a teenager needs a K-5.
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Seeing as the op is spending their own money saved on it I would suspect they would appreciate the value of it and take care of it (but who knows). I would still try for a kx/kr if they can afford it, but if they can not, honestly, any of these cameras will work just fine. They will take nice pictures and get the job done. For the most part, it will do anything a newer camera will do with regard to learning photography and learning how to use a dslr (sure there will be a few features they lack that newer cameras have). I got my ist-ds new old stock (the oldest of any of these models) maybe 4 years ago and now have maybe 10,000 actuation. It has done its job just fine and I have gotten many good pictures from it. The only area I have found it significantly lacking is low light performance and faster glass (there are a few you can get cheap) and external flash (also can be gotten cheap) can help with some of those instances. Get what you can afford and it will work fine for a first camera. Low light performance is a big plus but in many shooting senerios it doesn't matter. It doesn't make the camera unusable by a long shot.
07-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Depends on the teenager. When I was a teenager (and even when I was a kid) I babied the Hell outta my stuff. I still have LPs that sound as good now as they did when I bought them 31 years ago as a 12 year old.

That said, I would recommend a cheap used DSLR for the teenage DSLR-newbie just on principle. There's really no sane reason a teenager needs a K-5.
True enough, but it also depends on their friends and who they hang out with.

07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Give the kid some responsibility, and he will surprise you (in a good sense).

When I bought my first DSLR 5 years ago, I gave the task of selecting the camera to my then 12-year old son. I told him that he would recommend, and I would choose. He spent a whole month to do extensive research, then came back with the recommendation: Pentax K10D, which I agreed to buy.

My son (now 16 yrs old) and I have been sharing the camera equipment (partial list below) ever since. He knows that he shares the privilege, and also shares the responsibility. Once in a while I have to remind him to be gentle with the equipment (we all know how clumsy a teenager can be), but I have never threatened to invoke the privilege.