Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Neville

Lens Mount Compatability

Hello,

Can lenses, that fit onto a Pentax 35mm SLR film camera, also fit onto a Pentax *ist DL camera?

In other words, is the mounting configuration the same on the two cameras?

06-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All Pentax bayonet mount lenses can be used with the digital cameras. Older lenses, such as original K mount, may need some special techniques to use them. All Pentax screw mount lenses can be used with Pentax digital cameras with a mount adaptor. Again, a few tricks to learn how to use them.

I like the backward compatibility that Pentax designed in, it is one of the advantages of the brand.
06-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most definitely. tim60 is correct. I use all my lenses from film on my DL. I also use my DA lens on some of my film bodies. If yo haven't yet You need to go into menu and allow the use of the aperture ring then shoot in m mode for non A lenses the owners book tells more about it along with metering and using av mode. A lenses and newer work normal when on the A setting. Again you need to read the book about using older K mount lenses to learn the little tricks. If you do not have the owners manual you can down load it free at Pentaximaging.com
06-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I think the following will be informative

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com

06-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Any genuine PENTAX lens will fit your dslr.

MOST third-party lenses, such as Vivitar, Soligor, Tamron, Sigma will also work.

There are two significant exceptions. Some lenses made for certain Ricoh cameras used the same basic k-mount, but had an additional pin. The pin causes no problems on a manual focus camera, but Ricoh chose to put the pin in the exact same location that Pentax later chose to put the auto-focus screw drive coupling. Mounting such lenses can cause the pin to get stuck in the AF coupling, making the lens almost impossible to remove. Google "dreaded ricoh pin".

Such lenses will be marked PK/R on the lens mount. Not all Ricoh lenses have the pin, but if you have any that are marked PK/R, be careful. The pin is easy to remove.

Some Vivitar lenses, even manual focus lenses, have a metal guard that protects the lens' aperture lever. On some Vivitar lenses, the guard is longer than on Pentax lenses and can bump into the power contacts for the SDM lenses. These contacts are found on all Pentax dslrs since the K10D and K100D Super.

The guard is also easy to remove or modify. Fortunately, it won't damage the camera; it just won't turn into locked position, making it difficult if not impossible to use.

EDIT: I just reread your original post. I forgot that you mentioned the *isdDS. Since that camera does not have the power contacts for the SDM lenses, you need not worry about the Vivitar lenses.
06-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You should understand that almost all film-era lenses will have somewhat reduced functionality on a dslr. You won't find universal agreement on the forum on the severity of the functionality loss, partly because it depends on how you use the lens. If you already have film-era lenses, there's no reason to not try using them, but you should try using at least one lens of the same type (K, M, A, etc.) as any lens you're considering buying for a non-trivial price.

Paul
06-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for all your replies, although much of the information has gone right over my head.

Last night I fitted one of the lenses from the Pentax 35mm SLR film camera onto my Pentax *ist DL camera and, even though I had the aperture ring set on "A", and my camera on auto-focus, the view-finder indicated "MF" and the auto-focus function would not work.

I have attached an image of the lens mount.

I managed to take a picture in manual focus mode though.

Any advice or suggestions to get the auto-focus to work?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9000  Photo 
06-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens you are showing is a manual focus lens. Only the aperture is possible to be automatic. There is only one electrical contact. You still have to manually focus this lens It should work fine tho. Just remember to switch to MF and focus. Here is a photo of an Auto Focus lens. Notice the number of electrical contacts. This is the back of the 18-55mm lens that came with my DL, auto focus and auto aperture.
Attached Images

07-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A DSLR does not magically give your lens capabilities it did not have on film. If it wasn't an AF lens for film, it won't be for digital.
03-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #10

I have a similar problem, so perhaps bringing this thread back up would be best, considering there is relative information in it. I'm trying to use a few of the old lenses I had for my old K-1000 on my *istDL. I haven't been here is a while and I thought I might have posted here several years ago to ask about this problem. I know that I had this question solved in the past but I so rarely use the lenses in question, I've either forgotten how to make them work with the *istDL or I'm doing everything correctly and the camera isn't functioning as it should. The lenses are a Vivitar MC 70-150 MM Matched Multiplier and a Vivitar MC 70-150 Macro Focusing Zoom. The lenses are shown here, obviously, neither are auto focus lenses. patrick9's last post in this thread mentioned the need of only the switching the auto focus AF to MF. AHHhhhhh OK, reading his first response answers the question -- it is the custom aperture ring setting described on page 180 of the manual that allows the shutter to release. Now it is functioning.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and post this in case others might find it helpful.

Thanks for this great resource.
Attached Images

03-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Can lenses, that fit onto a Pentax 35mm SLR film camera, also fit onto a Pentax *ist DL camera?
Absolutely, just one of the many joys of Pentax ownership.