Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
R Jude

Macro extention tubes

I recently purchased a set of extension tubes from amazon that were supposed to be compatible with my K-x.
1 of Maxsima - MACRO EXTENSION TUBES / SET PENTAX K MOUNT For Pentax K30 K7 K5 K-x K-m K10D K20D K100D K110D K200D.
They don't seem to fit, is there another piece needed.

07-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they're k-mount, they should fit. If you register and post a picture, we'll be able to take a closer look!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
They seem to go on now but stiff but am struggling to take a Macro photo in manual mode.
Have now registered. Have only got basic lens 18-55
07-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjude Quote
They seem to go on now but stiff but am struggling to take a Macro photo in manual mode.
Have now registered. Have only got basic lens 18-55
Is the struggle to get your subject in focus? Try setting your kit lens to ~50mm, even the full 55mm, because at the short end, the minimum focusing distance will be right up against the glass, or even inside it.

Don't try to use the focusing ring. Just set it how you want, then move the whole camera, focusing with your shoulders. Don't hold your breath, and try to shoot on the exhale. It takes practice no matter how good one's technique is.

07-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

I think part of the problem is with cheap extension tubes the aperture is going to be fully closed down. If the lens has no aperture ring there is no way to set this (unlike Canon lenses) AFAIK. It's difficult to focus with a dim viewfinder and the increased DOF complicates matters..
07-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is very difficult to take macro images with manual tubes that don't have the aperture control linkage. Takes lots of practice and patience. I took two cheap 2x teleconverters, removed the glass, and now have auto tubes. Much brighter viewfinder, and using catch in focus with the technique Philoslothical described I can get fairly decent images. A flash with diffuser or a ring flash helps a whole lot also.
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah, that's true about the aperture linkage. I can't brain today, it's too hot. If you're stuck with manual tubes and a DA lens, the best bet would probably get a reversing adapter, too. Mount the K mount side of the adapter onto the tubes, and thread the lens onto the other. This way you can use your finger to hold the aperture lever open while focusing, and then let it go just as you shoot. You'll still be stuck shooting at f./22, but that will give the most depth of field anyway. With a flash it's very workable, just not very convenient.