Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
James Moritz

Will my old lenses work with a K-5 body?

I am thinking of getting a Pentax K-5 and would like to know if my old lenses will work. I currently use a Sears KS500 camera (film not digital) with fotomat series lenses. These lenses use a Pentax K mount. I think the camera and lenses were made by Konica for Sears back in the 80's. My camera is manual focus and none of my lenses have an "A" setting on the inner ring. My lenses are 50mm, 135mm, and 75-200mm zoom/macro.

07-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The camera and lenses were made by Ricoh, who now owns Pentax, not Konica.

That said, yes the lenses will work with a K-5 with a few caveats. They will only work in M mode with stop down metering or wide open in AV mode.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
07-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

For pentax K lenses without the "A"-setting, there's the caveat that you cannot measure the exposure without stepping down (you can shoot open with Aperture Priority or set it to M and press the green button for measuring.). Also note of course the 1.5x crop factor (Your 50 is now a short tele). Other than that, they work just fine.

I have a few old lenses (K and M42s), and used to use them quite a lot on my digital bodies, including the K-5, with technically good results (can't blame the camera ;-) )
07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You may face with the Ricoh pin issue...check the forum...if you have such pin on your lenses it has to be removed, otherwise the lens will stuck on your camera..then you will have a real issue...
some link among the tons of available in internet...
theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

07-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
You may face with the Ricoh pin issue...check the forum...if you have such pin on your lenses it has to be removed, otherwise the lens will stuck on your camera..then you will have a real issue...
some link among the tons of available in internet...
theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
Not likely as the OP says they don't have an A (P) setting. The KS500 (Ricoh XR500) pre-dates the XR-P.
07-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not likely as the OP says they don't have an A (P) setting. The KS500 (Ricoh XR500) pre-dates the XR-P.
Agree, but it is not about the body, but the lenses.
08-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
James Moritz

Thank you

Thank you for all your replies you have been very helpful.