Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
TacoSnap

Purchasing a Q in Japan - potential problems?

Hi all,

I am currently living in Japan and have fallen in love with the Pentax Q.

I was wondering if there are any potential problems with buying it over here as opposed to back home (in Australia).

I'm thinking about warranty, firmware updates, or any other issues.

Thanks

Andy

08-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The warranty is likely only a year or two, so if you are living there most or all of that will be used up while you are in Japan.

As for firmware, I treat a camera as a product, and use it as shipped. My K100DS is still going strong, as shipped in 2007. If this is a problem you could emulate your computer presence as in Japan to get the version they ship to Japan, or obtain it through the Japanesse language page, in case there is any difference.
08-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Picked up my Q in Yodobashi Shinju-ku - use it frequently overseas. Other than that I had to change the language, and get a different plug for the charger (which is universal anyways, 110-240V), it's not given any issues whatsoever. I've updated firmware etc., and used it intensively all over the planet.

Go ahead - also, pick up the rayqual K->Q adaptor, and pol-filters for the Q lenses (they're of a size not common, but Yodobashi have everything camera-related)
08-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Firmware isn't a problem as the Pentax website is also in English and you can download and install them - and you should as they solve issues that have been discovered and improve performance.

08-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Firmware isn't a problem as the Pentax website is also in English and you can download and install them - and you should as they solve issues that have been discovered and improve performance.
This may be the wrong thread, but what problems were actually solved by the last Q firmware? I noticed no improvements/fixes...
08-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
This may be the wrong thread, but what problems were actually solved by the last Q firmware? I noticed no improvements/fixes...
Sorry. I wasn't specifically referring to the Q. Fact is all firmware should be kept up to date if you want your (any) camera to perform at it's best. If you go to the Pentax firmware page for the Q then it will list the improvements / fixes the latest firmware addresses.
08-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Sorry. I wasn't specifically referring to the Q. Fact is all firmware should be kept up to date if you want your (any) camera to perform at it's best. If you go to the Pentax firmware page for the Q then it will list the improvements / fixes the latest firmware addresses.
Oh, but the Q-firmware page on the pentax website doesn't say anything much other than "some bugs fixed" - hence my question

Is my memory failing me, or wasn't there a very good reason to not switch from 1.30 to 1.31 on the K10D? Something about focus adjust, I seem to remember? At least, I downloaded the 1.31 firmware, but didn't update my camera for some reason