Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Daniel Sorine

Fogged up viewfinder

A while ago I took my K100D to the Bahamas. Into air-conditioned hotel, out to very humid air. Several times a day. My viewfinder fogged up, and has remained fogged up, although the pictures are fine and clear. Can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it.
Thank you.

08-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Put all the caps on your DSLR and then bury it in a big bowl of uncooked rice for a few days.
08-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Daniel Sorine

Fogged viewfinder

Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.
08-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel Sorine Quote
Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.
I keep my camera and my lenses in a padded cooler. It maintains a constant temp when zipped shut so that my lenses dont get moist and moldy. My husband keeps the air on "arctic" so that you can see your breath in the living room! I found out about mold in my lenses the hard way.

08-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #5

I often have to photograph at swimming venues, usually in winter. The humid environment often fogs the lens and/or viewfinder/mirror. I go to the changing room and use the hair dryer to warm up the equipment. This usually works in just a few minutes and I can then photograph at will. I would suggest trying to get heated air into your viewfinder. One downside to finally drying out the viewfinder is that the moisture which has remained in the viewfinder is likely to leave water spots which cannot be removed without disassembly. This is best left to a repairman.
08-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

As a preventative measure, it is also a good idea to keep desicant packs in your camera and lens cases. It won't help with acute issues like moving from a cold dry environment to a warm, damp one, but it is a good preventative measure chronic on-going moisture build-up. It is especially helpful if you live in a humid climate.