Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Msechols

Beginner

I have a pentax k-x and the kit lens that came with it broke or I broke it. I don't know how it happened. But however I want to take pictures close up. I have another lens but its for taking pictures in the distance. I am looking to purchase a lens that I can take close ups of the kids and record video with. It doesn't have to to be new. But a good used on will do. I am extremely new to this so If someone could please help me in this I would love it. PLEASE.

Thanks soooo much.....

08-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should think about getting the 18-135 WR lens. It's pricey, but it will essentially cover the entire focal length you need. Keep an eye out in the forums for one. Also, keep an eye out on B&H and Adorama's used items. If you are looking for a prime lens for video and stills, see if you can find a good used 50mm lens.
Good luck!
08-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Well the original posting mentioned close ups and then close ups of children.

I'd aim for the higher aperature models... The Pentax 55mm f1.4 - if that is close focus enough. If not then the Pentax FA 50mm f2.8 is probably the best macro that is still wide enough for most children indoor pics.

With keeping a better aperature it allows for better use in low light without losing/sacrificing the iso
08-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The Pentax 55mm f1.4 - if that is close focus enough. If not then the Pentax FA 50mm f2.8 is probably the best macro that is still wide enough for most children indoor pics.

With keeping a better aperature it allows for better use in low light without losing/sacrificing the iso
Which is why I mentioned, along with a good, all purpose zoom, he should look at getting a good used 50mm. I'm not sure if he needs to spend $600+ on the 551.4

08-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello!

I have Pentax K-x and I am beginner in the field of DSLR. If I correctly understand, you bought Penetax K-x with two standard kit lenses – 15-55 mm and 50-200 mm (or may be 50-300 mm). Which one is broken? If the 15-55 mm is broken, you can take quite good portraits and other close-ups with telephoto lens (50-200 or 50-300). If the telephoto lens is broken, it is still possible (but not very easy) to take photos with 15-55 mm lens. In this case, the distance between you and object will be quite short. So it is not very convent to shoot. However, it is a way how to deal the problem, at least temporary.
As a novice, I can say that I use DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL standard kit lens in most situations (80%-90%). I have also DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED standard kit lens but I use it very rarely. Both DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL and DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED allow achieving focal length 50 mm (75 mm in 35 mm equivalent). I think that such a focal length is sufficient to shoot close-ups if you are a novice.
While you are a novice, I recommend buy the same or similar (for example 50-300 mm instead of 50-200 mm) standard kit lens to replace the broken one. It will be much cheaper than to buy professional lens or lens with wide focal length (18-135 mm, etc.). Of course, used (second-hand) lenses are also an option. However, I think it can be quite tricky to find good used lens for cheap price.
After approbating your camera and standard kit lenses, you could decide to go professional if you wish then.

Best regards,
Alberts
08-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll throw in the DA16-45 as a good budget short zoom. It's not a macro lens, but you can focus about a foot away with ease and it's pretty nice for a low-cost lens. You should be able to find one for less than $200 on the marketplace here. Set a keyword for the lens and you'll get emails. That 16-45 served me very well for several years and never gave me a bit of trouble, even in the field and cold.

Do you want a true macro lens (very close focus and higher magnification) or do you just want a good lens for indoor use? If the latter, I really like the 16-45.

Of course the newer WR kitlens is supposed to be nice, and it's less money.