Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Joe Rice

K-5, Adjusting White Balance Manually, pp 208-209

I believe that I am following the instructions on pages 208-209 to manually set the white balance. But everytime I press the shutter relaese a picture is taken contrary to the memo on page 209. What am I doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance for all responses.

09-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Rice Quote
I believe that I am following the instructions on pages 208-209 to manually set the white balance. But everytime I press the shutter relaese a picture is taken contrary to the memo on page 209. What am I doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance for all responses.
Starting with the general WB settings: With the camera turned on and your lens cap removed, press the < arrow on the 4 way controller. The white balace settings will appear and you should be able to see the changes they make as you scroll through them. When you find one you like, press OK, and the camera will use that setting. You should not be pressing the shutter release, though you can turn the power on one setting further to the circular icon to take a shot that will also let you see how the different settings change the white balance.

One other option is press the < button while in live view, which will also show the effects of changing the settings.

Moving on to Fine Tuning WB: Fine tuning is similar, only you can use the arrow controllers to change the color balance. Make sure when you hold your camera up to a white surface, you press the sutter button down and hold it until a picture appears on the screen. Then make any changes you wish to make with the arrow keys. Press OK when you are done, until you are back to start. No picture is saved when you do this.

Last edited by Tom S.; 09-01-2012 at 04:18 PM.
09-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
With the camera turned on and your lens cap removed, press the < arrow on the 4 way controller. The white balace settings will appear and you should be able to see the changes they make as you scroll through them. When you find one you like, press OK, and the camera will use that setting. You should not be pressing the shutter release, though you can turn the power on one setting further to the circular icon to take a shot that will also let you see how the different settings change the white balance.

One other option is press the < button while in live view, which will also show the effects of changing the settings.
For setting the custom white balance, you do have to hit the shutter. You take a picture of a neutral colored thing (white card, grey card...) and tell it that should be neutral.

Make sure you are pressing OK when you should be, and not MENU which might cancel the setting.
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
For setting the custom white balance, you do have to hit the shutter. You take a picture of a neutral colored thing (white card, grey card...) and tell it that should be neutral.

Make sure you are pressing OK when you should be, and not MENU which might cancel the setting.
The camera does take a picture, but if he preforms the process correctly, the picture isn't saved. From how I read his post, that's not happening, which is why I tried to step through the whole process, including the normal WB changes.

09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Joe Rice

Thanks - I seem to be doing it correctly today.

Thansk for the responses. Today, after reviewing them I tried again and it worked correctly. Yesterday, for whatever reason, I was unable to get the display to look like that on step 2, page 208. It stayed on the last picture taken. Thanks again. p.s., I have the K 10D, K 20D and K-5 along with a few assorted lenses - K-5 is ammazing!!
09-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Joe Rice

Amazing

Probably explains why I screwed up yesterday.