Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My theory is this: they developed a new "pro" AF system for a higher-end camera (whether it be FF or APS-C), and decided to put it in an upgraded K-5 to keep it on the market longer. That would mean they'll end up with 3-4 DSLRs and something in between the K-30 and whatever will be higher.

If Photokina brings us nothing more than this, then it'll prove that Pentax hasn't made any progress since Ricoh got on board.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Pentax will at least improve the video in the new K-5. The current .AVI files are killing me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klausde Quote
greets
klaus
Is this Klaus Schoiff from Photozone? There are many with this name, but this strikes a chord...

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 09-05-2012 at 03:54 PM.
09-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My theory is this: they developed a new "pro" AF system for a higher-end camera (whether it be FF or APS-C), and decided to put it in an upgraded K-5 to keep it on the market longer. That would mean they'll end up with 3-4 DSLRs and something in between the K-30 and whatever will be higher.

If Photokina brings us nothing more than this, then it'll prove that Pentax hasn't made any progress since Ricoh got on board.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Pentax will at least improve the video in the new K-5. The current .AVI files are killing me.
3-4 DSLR from Pentax? that is more suicidal than having a FF, K5 replacement, and K-30. There is really no need for a below K-30 camera (the price of K-30 is an entry level DSLR).

K5 II needs to make a big splash to build on the momentum that K5 generated! If this K5 II specs are real news, its very sad news for Pentaxians.
09-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
TZH

QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
No, it is a hardware limitation, they did already improve the AF sensors on the K-30, What they can maybe do via firmware update is to add focus peaking in live view
I'm pretty sure they will launch with the newer processor - PRIME M .

09-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
The K5 dynamic range is excellent, 14bit/color and the16MP Sony Sensor will be very difficult to beat. I will be very Happy if they keep the same sensor and improve the low-light auto-focus.
That is a camera that would interest me a lot as a replacement for my aging K-7. But I'd still wait to see what (and how much $$) the K-3 is supposed to be before making a decision.
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Pentaxian

@LFLee
QuoteQuote:
There is really no need for a below K-30 camera (the price of K-30 is an entry level DSLR).
I bought the K200D about 2 months after production stopped for €399, at that time roughly USD 450.

Before I had set myself a kind of limit, to switch to digital only to a Pentax DSLR with >= 12MP.
But for this price I couldn't withstand, and I am glad I bought it. For just €100 more, I would have delayed switching from film to digital by at least a year, maybe two years.

There may be more people setting themselves a limit of $500 for their first DSLR body.

Last edited by RKKS08; 09-05-2012 at 05:01 PM.
09-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
But don't worry, it will be introduced at much less than the K5 was.
Well, it should be! If the AF improvement is that significant.... I'll let Pentax take my money on this one! Hopefully the SAFOX X has smaller AF sensors. And focus peaking. and... just everything new the K-30 has! (Or if a K-3 is somewhere on the horizon... better wait just another couple o' months)

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
otherwise it will just be garbage because a K-5 could be had instead.
I think that's why they officially discontinued K-5 Mk1, to somehow ensure retailers will have good enough stocks of the Mk2 in case it doesn't sell well... (meaning, those looking for a K-5 will have no choice but this one O_o)

good move by Pentax though, at least for me. Don't fix the good parts, just the bad ones.
09-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't think the K-5 is showing its age, so to squeeze a bit more life out of it in the form of a MK II doesn't seem a bad idea.

09-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want a k-5 with fantastic AF. I don't mind if it's $1,100. I like the k-30, but the lack of top LCD, the louder shutter, and the lower FPS/bracketing options is making me wait for the k-5 replacement. If they bring out a k-5 Mk2 with fantastic AF, I'm getting it.
09-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Sorry, but if it is just an upgrade of a few features and not a major camera evolution then I'm not prepared to spend money to replace my K5, which is working just fine for me.
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Reading the last two comments, Jin's and Bob's, this is how diverse opinions are about a MKII.

Having bought a K-5 a few months ago and still using my K10, as well as shooting film again, I don't really fit in with purchasing a new body for a few years at least.

However, it is nice to see what Pentax has in store.
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Having bought a K-5 a few months ago and still using my K10, as well as shooting film again, I don't really fit in with purchasing a new body for a few years at least.
For current K-5 users, it won't be "much" of an upgrade. But for those who need better AF, and those upgrading from K-x/K-r's, the K-5 II at a price close to the K-5's clearing-out tag is perhaps an early Christmas gift from Pentax. Or, at least to me.
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

So what Pentax is saying is that after 2 years they are finally making what the K-5 should have been in the first place. If Pentax had done this back in the spring with a K-5 Super in Silver then I could see it working and carrying them on for another year, but a warmed over K-5 for the biggest show in the industry is pretty weak.

I hope the K-3 and at least the 645D MKII are ready for the show if they can't deliver a FF body. A good Sony CMOS sensor in the 645D and some more glass and I will sell the Contax 645 and go digital.
09-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
A MK2..... Worked fine for Canon with the 5D series. I like the idea of a massage to a known good. I went from a K200D to the K5 after several stops along the way. For my part, the focus is just good enough on the K5. What chaps me is the lack of responsiveness I get when trying to cycle through commands.
A greatly improved buffer processing would be a pleasure. My V1 spanks the heck out of the K5 in matters of sheer interface and processing responsiveness. Leave the sensor alone. Pick up the pace otherwise, and price it like there might be an economic slowdown here and there.
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

If this is true, it should also come with the pre-announcement of the K-3 or K-1 FF coming next year. The new AF gets bunged in the K5 and called the K-5n for now to stall until the K-3/K-1 is ready which is a real shift in the direction Pentax is going due to Ricoh and they need time to get it going.

If we knew where we all were going on the new Pentax/Ricoh train, it would be easier to relax and be happy!