Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hypervel Quote
A MK2..... Worked fine for Canon with the 5D series. I like the idea of a massage to a known good. .
Canon doubled the megapixels and added the most advanced HD video recording capabilities of its time. It was more than just a massage. HD video in the 5DII revolutionized the DSLR industry and made a superior camera like the Sony A900 obsolete before it even hit the shelf.

09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
If we knew where we all were going on the new Pentax/Ricoh train, it would be easier to relax and be happy!
True but if Canikon gets wind Pentax/Ricoh won't be so happy..
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Well, improvement of th K-5 body will mean same accessories - which IMHO is a good thing. The ergonomics of the K-5 and K-5 + grip are just superb IMHO. It will all hinge, for me, on what the K-3 has and what the difference is in price between the K-5mk2, K-30, and K-3.
09-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
True but if Canikon gets wind Pentax/Ricoh won't be so happy..
I doubt Canon/Nikon have time to worry about Pentax. Pentax does not have the R&D or resources to really push the market like Sony or even Fuji. At one point I think Canon was more afraid of Fuji sensor technology (The Super-CCD) than Sony. I doubt Canon executives even take the time to walk past the Pentax booth at the show.

09-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I doubt Canon/Nikon have time to worry about Pentax.
I find the K-5 a threat to the 7D and the 645D to Nikon's flagships; maybe I'm just too optimistic but part of the upgrades made for the cameras in those categories from Canikon were in response to Pentax's sudden surge of excellent products. For a small player, P is definitely kicking goals at good spots.
09-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Speculation is wonderful, however as has been said a number of times before...

Those who know are not talking, those who are talking don't know.

09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
otherwise it will just be garbage because a K-5 could be had instead.
It would take a pretty significant improvement or a much lower price to lure me out of my plans. Call me cheap, but honestly, I'm viewing whatever Pentax announces as my ticket to a discount on a new-to-me K-5.
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I find the K-5 a threat to the 7D and the 645D to Nikon's flagships; maybe I'm just too optimistic but part of the upgrades made for the cameras in those categories from Canikon were in response to Pentax's sudden surge of excellent products. For a small player, P is definitely kicking goals at good spots.
If they had the lenses and support to go with them, then maybe. There are only 3 lenses for the 645D in production. Not going to challenge Nikon with that line-up. Sigma makes more K-mount lenses than Pentax does. Pentax has done a great job with what they have, but they are not pushing anyone. Olympus and M4/3 have picked up more market share than Pentax in only 4 years.

09-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #39
TZH

If they had the lenses and support to go with them, then maybe. There are only 3 lenses for the 645D in production. Not going to challenge Nikon with that line-up. Sigma makes more K-mount lenses than Pentax does. Pentax has done a great job with what they have, but they are not pushing anyone. Olympus and M4/3 have picked up more market share than Pentax in only 4 years.
Because of Hoya ?
09-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
Pentaxian

If they had the lenses and support to go with them, then maybe.
The EOS-7D is a performer in the field. I think the K-5 renders better images but the 7D outperforms with autofocus but maybe not for long. I would say my K-5 coupled with the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 gets better images and I think this irritates some Canonites. The K-5 is close to the Mark IV with a good 500mm prime and I really can't tell much difference in image quality but my combo is/was about half of the cost.

I still think it is a bit early to judge if Ricoh is pushing Pentax enough. They got costco.com to sell a couple of their cameras and that site sells millions of dollars of merchandise every day. Maybe they wan't to develop more options and then push more.

Last edited by traderdrew; 09-05-2012 at 09:45 PM.
09-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I really hope that the K5 Mark II rumor isn't true. I've been saving up since last year so that I can purchase whatever replaced the K5. The rumored specs do not seem appealing in any way. The k5 was released 18 months ago (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that). I would hate to have to wait another 18 months for a real replacement. That is way too long to keep the same technology. I know the K5 is still a great camera, but it's been out for a while.

If Pentax really wants to pull in new customers (and keep people) they need to keep getting better. Where's the innovation? I bought into Pentax because of the K5. I didn't buy a K5 (couldn't afford one), but I'm ready to buy its replacement now. If this is all the replacement is, I think I'll save my money a bit longer. This new K5 (if true) does not impress me or satisfy my wants. I don't see why it would satisfy or impress anyone. If this is really all that Pentax has to offer (as far as a K5 replacement), I will probably start looking somewhere else.

Whether it's a K5n, K5 mark ii, or a K3, or anything else they want to call it. Make it worth the drama. Make it worth the wait. Make it worth having to be loyal to a company that hasn't been very loyal to its customers over the last year. I've lost a lot of respect for Pentax lately. I love what Pentax was, I just really feel like I'm starting to dislike what Pentax is becoming. The underdog feeling only lasts so long and nostalgia fades. I see all of the stuff that other companies have released/are releasing and I have to feel envious.

I really hope that this rumor is false. That, or I hope that there is something I'm missing. How could this be something that Pentax would seriously offer. It feels like a slap in the face. I really do hope I'm missing something.
09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I really hope that this rumor is false. That, or I hope that there is something I'm missing. How could this be something that Pentax would seriously offer. It feels like a slap in the face. I really do hope I'm missing something.
I'm thinking it is true but we will know in about two weeks won't we? On the positive side I am sure they have been working on a 24 megapixel replacement and it could be available by early next year. 24 will be enough for me. Hopefully the extra time will give Pentax updated technology slightly ahead of what could have been.
09-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

There are only 3 lenses for the 645D in production. Not going to challenge Nikon with that line-up.
In terms of lenses, of course they can't challenge Nikon with that But the format, the sensor, the megapickles, which far exceeded that of the D700 and D3 - was good enough, back then. As for this year's round, it's Pentax who ought to surprise even their own loyalists...
09-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I'm thinking it is true but we will know in about two weeks won't we? On the positive side I am sure they have been working on a 24 megapixel replacement and it could be available by early next year. 24 will be enough for me. Hopefully the extra time will give Pentax updated technology slightly ahead of what could have been.
I also think it's true. That's the part I don't like. I think the K5 Mark II, as it's rumored, is a terrible idea. I really want this to be false. I honestly don't want to (I don't think I can either) wait until early next year. I can deal with 16 megapixels. I want better ISO performance, better video capabilities, and of course, better auto focus. Otherwise, I'm sure used k5 sales will be shooting through the roof while K5ii sales will be abysmal. I can't afford to buy a K5 now and then something else later. Whatever I buy this or next month is what I will have for at least two years.
09-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I also think it's true. That's the part I don't like. I think the K5 Mark II, as it's rumored, is a terrible idea. I really want this to be false. I honestly don't want to (I don't think I can either) wait until early next year. I can deal with 16 megapixels. I want better ISO performance, better video capabilities, and of course, better auto focus. Otherwise, I'm sure used k5 sales will be shooting through the roof while K5ii sales will be abysmal. I can't afford to buy a K5 now and then something else later. Whatever I buy this or next month is what I will have for at least two years.
It seemed to me there are some around here who don't want more than 16 mps. Where are you going to get the better ISO performance? In a FF I suppose. My guess some of you want to 24mps just to see it compete against the others and know it is competing. I just threw up a 20x30 inch photograph on the wall from my K-5 and it was a cropped image. I do crop 99% of my wildlife captures and I couldn't get closer than 50 meters to one migrating bird I really wanted to get. Yeah I want that extra resolution.