Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
klausde

new pentax items like k5 mark II and lenses

hi,

i have been a reader of your webforums for long time but have not contributed any post the past so i want to make a contribution today! learned this from a friend at pentax here in germany. he said they will be announcing some new things next week, and some things at photokina.

-official news of new 560mm lens, a long zoom like da 18-250 but brand new, and q k adapter
-impoved pentax q, with the same sensor
-pentax k5 mark II, with same sensor but better AF

see you all at photokina!

greets
klaus

09-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of things that make me think this may not be legit. Other manufacturers have moved on to higher resolution offerings and to stay competitive, it would seem Pentax needs to move that direction. I know the K-20 and K-7 had the same 14.6 meg resolution and the K-x and K-r had the same 12.1 meg resolution but it seems that for Pentax-Ricoh to have their first flagship offering to use the same sensor as their last flagship would indicate they aren't very serious about the future of their DSLR line. That is the very opposite of what they have publically said they plan to do with the Pentax name. I know companies sometimes say one thing and do another, but if it's the case, I'm disappointed. I expect more from Pentax and I personally think they will deliver it.

Perhaps I will be proved wrong at Photokina, but I don't think so. However, I will be the first to admit that only time will tell.

Last edited by PentaxRev; 09-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.
09-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
StTh

Yes, but this is not all. Expect great things.
K300, K5n, K3, 645DII.....
09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"-pentax k5 mark II, with same sensor but better AF"

ripped off!

See what Canon did with its FREE 7D firmware updates!
Canon 7D Firmware Update Rolls Out, Beefs Up Camera’s Features
"The version 2 update, which we first reported on back in June, makes sweet improvements to key specs, including upping the RAW buffer from 15 to 25, adding in-camera RAW editing/JPEG resizing, introducing an in-camera photo rating feature, including the ability to limit maximum Auto ISO between 400-6400, and adding the ability to make manual audio level adjustments during video recording.

Want to geotag your photos? The update also allows you to use Canon’s GP-E2 GPS receiver with the camera."

09-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
StTh

No, not ripped off, it's new hardware, you can't do SAFOX X with the old K5 hardware.
But don't worry, it will be introduced at much less than the K5 was.
09-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K5N as an upgrade on the K5 better AF an 1100 price makes sense
09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look forward to the news from Photokina...

09-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The AF better be REALLY good and SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than the current K-5 if they are going to release a K-5 MKII, otherwise it will just be garbage because a K-5 could be had instead. What makes me think this is fake is that if they really did want to make significant improvements on the AF they would've done so on the K-30 already, instead it's minor AF changes with the new AF system in the K-30, what did they do? Develop the new AF system for a couple months after the K-30's? NOT obviously. Like someone else said, I'll be looking forward to the REAL news at Photokina.
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
There are a number of things that make me think this may not be legit.

Perhaps I will be proved wrong at Photokina, but I don't think so. However, I will be the first to admit that only time will tell.

The fact that Adam bunged this on the front page of the website suggests to me it's true. He must have press releases etc by now but is under an NDA. Nothing to stop him reposting accurate 'rumours' though.

And this camera is in addition to the 24mp flagship camera. It's not the flagship.
09-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #10

The K5 dynamic range is excellent, 14bit/color and the16MP Sony Sensor will be very difficult to beat. I will be very Happy if they keep the same sensor and improve the low-light auto-focus.
09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
The K5 dynamic range is excellent, 14bit/color and the16MP Sony Sensor will be very difficult to beat. I will be very Happy if they keep the same sensor and improve the low-light auto-focus.
Don't know about you, but I think the low light auto-focus improvement can be done via firmware update, FREE.
09-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

No, it is a hardware limitation, they did already improve the AF sensors on the K-30, What they can maybe do via firmware update is to add focus peaking in live view
09-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #13

But I feel your pain LFLee, when I bought my K7 I thought that the sensor was going to be better than the Kx, instead they did put a horrible Samsung sensor, with a terrible dynamic range, In other words a "Ferrari with a Volkswagen beetle engine" ,like someone pointed out here in this forum.

Last edited by yygomez; 09-07-2012 at 07:53 PM.
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Found this on a site a couple days ago, says there's going to be 9 new releaases from Pentax soon:

Nine new press releases from Pentax next week! | Photo Rumors
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I think the low light auto-focus improvement can be done via firmware update, FREE.
Only indirectly, perhaps by adding focus peaking into the firmware, tuning some tracking algorithms etc. Useful improvements no doubt, but not decisive.

Otherwise it's hardware changes. Just look at the K-30 - there's a whole bunch of new stuff in the AF sensor mechanism, including additional lens elements etc. That's probably what's on offer in the K-5 II, K-3 and whatever else may be coming - new AF hardware AND software.