Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #46
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
The fact that Adam bunged this on the front page of the website suggests to me it's true. He must have press releases etc by now but is under an NDA. Nothing to stop him reposting accurate 'rumours' though.
Makes good sense! Probably Pentax has already informed Adam, who most probably is under NDA, so to pick up a rumor that he knows is true, and point in the right direction to the rest of us, sounds pretty possible!

09-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some more guesses: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog

I do not rumour, but guessing is fun (from Rice blog, just list of guesses)...

1. K-300
2. K-5N
3. K-3/K-3S*
*Name Tentative
4. 645DII*/645DN*
*Name Tentative
5. DA 18-200/3.5-5.6 WR DC
6. DA560/5.6
7. DFA645 90/2.8
8. AF600FGZ
9. O-GPS2
09-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would want better image quality and better resolution. They should make the K-5 replacement a 18MP, though 16MP is fine for most people I assume.
09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
though 16MP is fine for most people I assume.
16MP is good, but if Pentax can make that 16mp Sony sensor produce 16-bit images in the K-5 Mk.II
Imma get one real quick.

09-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
Carrie C.

Anticipation....

I am looking at upgrading my current K-x to a K-5 (or maybe it's predecessor) what is your advice? Go ahead & jump to the k-5? Or wait until Pentax works out the bugs from the new line & buy then? The prices on K-5's right now are pretty hard to resist!!!!
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Carrie C. Quote
I am looking at upgrading my current K-x to a K-5 (or maybe it's predecessor) what is your advice? Go ahead & jump to the k-5? Or wait until Pentax works out the bugs from the new line & buy then? The prices on K-5's right now are pretty hard to resist!!!!
Currently the K5 is on a run out basis, prices are good if you find one. there is as the thread suggests going to be an updated version announced in the next week or so, i'd personally wait and see what Photokina has to offer. An updated K5 (K5ii or K5n or whatever it ends up called) likely is going to add a better processor, better af and focus peaking if nothing else. if it hits at 1000-1100 or so it will be a tough camera to beat in it's price class
09-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #52
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, Carrie. The K-5 is definitely the best value for money anyone can find for such a fine camera. The autofocus on that camera is responsive and quite accurate. Its high ISO performance is excellent. You can shoot with this camera and get more keepers than with any of its predecessors. It's worth the investment.

09-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #53
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I wouldn't do anything before Photokina... but maybe that's just me...
09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #54

If you need the upgrade before, buy a K5 now, if not, when annoucement will be done, the price of K5 in Stock may drop due to new DSLR...
09-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clover Quote
If you need the upgrade before, buy a K5 now, if not, when annoucement will be done, the price of K5 in Stock may drop due to new DSLR...
Historically it is not advisable to wait too long as the price has tended to rebound once the replacement is shipping. Don't ask me why, it just has been the pattern in the past.
09-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The new replacement bodies for the K5 will be over $1K. It will take at least a year to get under the $1K threshold. Several years ago, I bought the K20 at this point in time as it was being replaced - absolutely no regrets. I upgraded in January to the K5 with a great price after 3 years of using the K20. Its a wonderful replacement. For me, purchasing the body being phased out ever other camera body cycle or so, has provided me with a great camera at a wonderful price. Does it have all the latest functionality - no, but I ask you with the K5 - what more do you need?

09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #57
Forum Member

this is exactly what I was told, that they were going to re-release the K5 as a K5II or something to that effect.They have a 24mp camera coming but were delayed about 6 months or so and that they were disappointed by the delay as nikon and canon beat them to it.
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brian Mould Quote
They have a 24mp camera coming but were delayed about 6 months or so and that they were disappointed by the delay as nikon and canon beat them to it.
that would have also given them 6 more months to work on something to beat the canon and nikon ones which were released ahead of time
09-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #59

Photos: Albums
Firmware update

I believe that Pentax already planded that another firmware improving the K-5 up to say Mark II. I do not know why but I believe

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"-pentax k5 mark II, with same sensor but better AF"

ripped off!

See what Canon did with its FREE 7D firmware updates!
Canon 7D Firmware Update Rolls Out, Beefs Up Camera’s Features
"The version 2 update, which we first reported on back in June, makes sweet improvements to key specs, including upping the RAW buffer from 15 to 25, adding in-camera RAW editing/JPEG resizing, introducing an in-camera photo rating feature, including the ability to limit maximum Auto ISO between 400-6400, and adding the ability to make manual audio level adjustments during video recording.

Want to geotag your photos? The update also allows you to use Canon’s GP-E2 GPS receiver with the camera."
09-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SkilakDeZoo Quote
I believe that Pentax already planded that another firmware improving the K-5 up to say Mark II. I do not know why but I believe
I hope so, but Firmware Update Software Version 1.13 for the K-5 is still the most current version at Pentax Japan today.