Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Lewis R.

Pentax P30t will not release my film!

I've had my Pentax P30t for almost three years in which I've never had any problems with it. However today when I finished a film and was rewinding it the crank/lever stuck and would not budge. I thought it had just gotten a little stiff so I pushed it again and heard a snap. Feeling the lever losen and thinking that the film had wound all the way in I opened up my camera and realised the film had been torn out from the canister!

After taking out my ruined film I was looking at the camera and realised that there was something not quite right with the film rewind button. After it is pushed in, it does not stay in but moves in and out of the camera depending on whether you hold it the right way up or upside-down. However everything else seemed to work fine all winders moved backwards smoothly etc. So I decided to put another film in and try the shoot again.

Once finishing the film I begun to rewind it and it happened again. The lever stuck and the film would not rewind despite the film rewind button being pushed in correctly and everything else in order. Once again the film was torn from the canister, luckily I managed to save it by making the room pitch black, taking it out via hand and storing it safely.

So I cannot rewind my film! Is this a common problem? and if so, is there a way to fix it? or will I have to see an expert or replace it?

10-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had that happen with mine. It sounds like it needs a trip to Eric. He comes highly recommended
Eric Hendrickson
pentax27@aol.com
188 Shoffner Rd
Sharps Chapel, TN 37866
Fax/phone 865 278-1051
07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Yah

I have had the exact same problem although I never heard a snap; it just continues to wind around a click. Any help?
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Obviously the film rewind button does not do what it should.

It should disengage the gear that transports the film. Maybe it disengages it only for a moment, and the "snap" is the noise it makes when it re-engages.
Advancing with rewind will now rip the film from the cartridge.

Other than a faulty part, too much dust or hardened grease in the mechanics, this can also be caused when you try to advance the film when it is less than one frame from the end of the film (advance lever can only be moved half way).

This frequentlty happened in my film days. In this case the solution is simple:
Start slowly to rewind. If you hear a snap, press the rewind button once more. If the snap can be heard again after continueing, keep the rewind button pressed all the time while rewinding.

Last edited by RKKS08; 07-10-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typing errors