Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Manuel Gouveia

Pentax for Beginners

Hello!

What's the best Pentax for beginners, like me. I love to take pictures, but sometimes it seems the photo isn't like i planned to, so in January i want to take som lessons and i would like to start with a Pentax. Could you help me?

Thank you

11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would say Pentax K-01 and the lens that comes with it is a brilliant start.
Especially when it has such a low price tag.
11-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say get a used K-r or a new K-30 (Pentax K-30 Digital Camera (Body Only) (Black) 15613 B&H Photo). If you ever need help with your camera, please join the forum and we'll help you until you know everything you need!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I learned a lot from the Scott Kelby books - "The Digital Photography Book" series (I have Vol. 1,2 & 4). I'd say buy vol. 1, read it and put some of those techniques to use taking pictures with the new camera. You should see your pictures becoming to what you intended them to be with practice and some "failure" (some of the failures can turn out pretty cool). There's a lot of good free info online too and this forum is always a great place to anchor. I bought a used K-x and it's been great. If I bought used: K-r, if new it would be a K-30, but that's just my personal preference. Good luck.

11-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that would depend on your budget. A K-r or K-30 is a great (advanced) beginner DSLR. The K-01 delivers great quality at a lower price, but it doesn't have the OVF. Feel free to check out the camera review section on this forum
Also, if you want to buy used, that can work out great, but generally I would suggest buying a new camera with an extended warranty. And remember that the lenses you will be using are also very important. Pentax is awesome in this regard because there are plenty of legacy K-mount lenses available second hand, cheap and great quality
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would have to agree with most of the comments here. Skip the K-01, although it's really cheap right now, it's not really going to be a great tool to learn on in understanding how photography works. Yes it can be an awesome camera for beginners, and can be an awesome tool for somebody who already knows how photography works, but i believe it lacks a couple of stuff that would make it easier for you to get down and personal with photography, thus I think getting something like the K-x, K-r, or the K30 would be way better for you to learn on. Or even a K7 Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ 18-55mm WR Lens) 0027075155305 | eBay this seems a very good deal to me.

Also grab a copy of Robert Peterson's understanding exposure. It's an awesome book.

Good luck.
11-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Manuel

Hello everyone, thank you for your advices.

Best regards.

M.