Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
sweetheart161

Confused

I own 2 old Pentax K 1000 cameras. By old I mean that I have had them since the 70's. I have several lenses zoom and wiide angle, my question - Is is there a compatable Pentax camera in the digital format that would accomodate these lenses. I would like to repalce the camera body and crawl into this century without breaking the bank

12-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your best digital option at this point regarding Pentax would be the K-30 (dSLR) or the K-01 (mirroless, viewfinderless) K-mount bodies. How many lenses to you have and what are they? Unless, you are vested in Pentax, this isn't your only option.
12-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use those lenses on any model Pentax DSLR. The fully manual lenses have a few restrictions: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
12-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Choices?

Hello Sweetheart161, Welcome to the Forum!
As already mentioned, you can use any K-mount (and older m42, with an adapter) lenses with modern DSLRs.
Each lens will only provide the functions it was originally designed for, i.e. if it was always manual focus, it will still be manual focus, but the focus indicator in the camera will signal when (it detects that) the point of highest contrast is in focus. Which is not always the same point you want to focus on!
If the lens supports auto aperture (Series A, F, FA, DA), you can use it in "Auto" or fully manual aperture. If you post the lens data here (written on the front or side of the lens) we can tell you exactly what it will and won't do.
You might check here;
Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
And see which cameras appeal to you in terms of features, price, size and availability. Only a few models listed are still sold new. You can sometimes find a good deal on used bodies, but really have to know exactly what you need and a reasonable price range.
I understand that the spec sheets for each camera can be overwhelming at first, but try to think about what features are important to you. Do you want video capability? A top LCD or only a back screen? Live view or no? Re-chargeable Li-Ion batteries or the option of AA's? With manual-focus lenses, the option of an exchangeable viewfinder screen becomes more important. The availability of a battery grip means that you can have double the battery life while you're out taking photos, without recharging. It also makes the camera bigger and heavier, there's always a tradeoff.
Don't get too caught up in megapixel rating. Anything over 10mp (in a DSLR) will yield great prints or screen viewing, assuming the shot was focused and exposed correctly.
Good luck and try to post back, we'll help if we can!
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 12-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.
12-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes you can.
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If the lenses are Pentax brand lenses, then they will fit any Pentax dslr with no problems.

If they are third-party K-mount lenses, they may have the "dreaded RIcoh pin", which can become lodged in the autofocus drive linkage and make the lens very difficult to remove. Look for the letters PKA somewhere near the lens mount. Fortunately, the pin is easy to remove.

The other difficultly that is sometimes encountered with third-party lenses is on some Vivitar lenses. There is a guard the protects the aperture operating lever on the lens. On some Vivitars, this shield is longer that on the Pentax lenses and interferes with the power contacts on the camera body. Again, this is not difficult to modify or remove.
12-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter

One thing that can make it a little more difficult in manual focus lenses is that the DSLRs do not have split prism focusing screens. I found it hard to accurately manual focus when I used a K20D. However the K-30 does have a feature called focus peaking while using live view. That is extremely useful when using a tripod and you get very accurate focusing. I would alos suggest that you list your lenses and you will probably get some first hand accounts on how the work with DSLRs.
12-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
One thing that can make it a little more difficult in manual focus lenses is that the DSLRs do not have split prism focusing screens. I found it hard to accurately manual focus when I used a K20D. However the K-30 does have a feature called focus peaking while using live view. That is extremely useful when using a tripod and you get very accurate focusing. I would alos suggest that you list your lenses and you will probably get some first hand accounts on how the work with DSLRs.
Or the OP can use catch-in focus, which I find is much more easier than focus peaking and can be done in almost any Pentax DSLR.

12-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Or the OP can use catch-in focus, which I find is much more easier than focus peaking and can be done in almost any Pentax DSLR.
True you can use catch in focus, I never had as much success with catch in focus, but I never used it on a tripod. Focus peaking is extremely easy and successful with a tripod, both a good options.
12-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sweetheart161 Quote
.........crawl into this century without breaking the bank
You could do like me: Buy a used Pentax DSLR body and see if this is something for you. Since you come from the fully manual K1000, I should say that any Pentax DSLR body would do, provided that it is in a good shape.

I also came from a K1000 (bought in 1982) and some years ago, I bought a cheap, used *ist DL just to see how my old lenses would work on a DSLR......

....and now I have three different DSLR bodies. And I still have great pleasure in using my manual lenses from then!

As of today, I would recommend a used K200D or K-x for a start unless you want to jump rather than crawl and buy something newer. If you find a used K-5 at a reasonable price and in good shape, you certainly can't go wrong. It may have overwhelmingly many functions and options for a newcomer, but it is actually extremely easy to get started with and Pentax DSLRs can be used in fully manual mode much like your K1000s.
12-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #11

Yes you can, it will be manual focus, but you are used to that, good luck
01-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #12

I use my old (1980s) F lenses on my Kx, but the auto focus works on my lens that was an autofocus and the manual are manual unless I add the two times converter, then my old manual lenses are partially auto focus in that I first focus the lens within range, then the 2X does the rest.
02-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #13

There are split prism focusing screens available from third parties to aid manual focussing for Pentax DSLRs, for example, KaztEye.See here:

Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

I think there are other cheaper suppliers, but I don't have details to hand.
02-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Not sure what price range you have in mind, but you could also consider just replacing the lenses with modern autofocus equivalents - for example a used k10 body with 18-55DA and 50-200DA lenses would be in the same price range as a newer body alone. Unless you've got some atypical lenses for a K1000, they're not going to have the same effective range they did on full-frame (the wide-angle end will be notably lacking.) Zoom technology particularly has moved on from what it was in the 1970s, both in optical design and coatings, not to mention that older lenses can have issues with sticky aperture blades, fungus, etc.

Paul