Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
e.smith

k-x and batteries

does pentax consider in the near future upgrading the battery system in the k-x range ?

12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by e.smith Quote
does pentax consider in the near future upgrading the battery system in the k-x range ?
It takes AA's, and it's successor (the K-r) takes a rechargeable battery or AA's, so I wouldn't say that there's much to upgrade!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It takes AA's, and it's successor (the K-r) takes a rechargeable battery or AA's, so I wouldn't say that there's much to upgrade!
My first DSLR was the *iStDL. One of the selling points was the use of AA or rechargeable NiMh AA batteries. It was less than a year before I decided that was maybe not such a neat idea. When the K10D was released I got the body only, and a battery grip. So far I am very impressed with the battery life.

12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I still have the meter problem with my K-x but I can say this, even though it fluctuates from green to orange to red, once it hits red, it goes on forever....I probably get about 400 to 500 shots per Eneloops. But, and as Adam said, I doubt Pentax will be doing any upgrades or updates to the K-x.

12-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I still have the meter problem with my K-x but I can say this, even though it fluctuates from green to orange to red, once it hits red, it goes on forever....I probably get about 400 to 500 shots per Eneloops. But, and as Adam said, I doubt Pentax will be doing any upgrades or updates to the K-x.
The latest firmware fixed that on the one I sold. I could get over a thousand shots on lithiums with it, and once it went to the red you'd better grab some new ones.
12-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The latest firmware fixed that on the one I sold
I have the latest version of firmware but it didn't fix the problem I have still. I just ignore it and shoot til I think the batteries need changing.
12-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Interesting that I found this post - as I was wondering the same thing about batteries and my K-x. With one set of rechargeables that I have, the power meter works fine (with the battery setting in AUTO mode). However, with my eneloops - freshly charged, the power meter is orange when I first put them into the camera - even after a power cycle. If I change the battery setting to Ni-MH however, then the meter appears to work normally.

Why is this anyway? Is it a software issue?

12-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
If I change the battery setting to Ni-MH however, then the meter appears to work normally.
As I said, I have the latset firmware, and use eneloops, with battery type setting on Ni-MH and still have the battery meter show green about three shots, then orange, finally turning red....but goes on a long time in the red zone.
12-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
If I change the battery setting to Ni-MH however, then the meter appears to work normally.
I just set it to the Ni-Mh setting and let it be. There is a difference in voltage between rechargeable and non-rechargeable so I just assumed the circuitry in the camera could not reliably tell one type from another. Voltage in Eneloops is slightly lower than in Lithiums so I guess it assumes lithiums, reads the low voltage and assumes they are low.

Just set it to Ni-Mh & don't worry. You will get 400 - 500 shots, so just recharge when you change cards.
01-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I have the same experience with my K-x and eneloops, but near the end of the extra 400 shots sometimes a shot ends up with colourful lines in it. I don't think my eneloops hold a charge as long anymore either.

Do non-rechargeable batteries, the real good ones, last a long time?
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have gotten over 1,000 pictures off of a fresh set of the good lithiums.
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-x has been quite accurate with rechargeable NiMH batteries. Can't say how many shots I get from freshly charged ones because usually I don't take that many photos in a day. I have used one set and shot a couple hundred in a day but then the camera may sit for a day or so. I then put freshly charged batteries in before going out again. I have only ever used NiMH batteries and have had the camera set for them since I bought it. Only recently got a set of enloops with another K-x I bought used as a back-up and they seem to hold a charge very well. Lately though I have had a problem with some of my older batteries not even turning the cameras on, even though I just took them out of the charger where they had been overnight. That is a different problem which I sought comments or suggestions for in another thread.